Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draining gas from tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Dec 23, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I need to drain a few gallons of gas out of my tank so I can use it elsewhere. I don't have any way to carry gas outside my K5 and carrying it inside is definitely out of the question. So I was wondering how safe it would be to disconnect the fuel line at the filter, connect a hose to the line and feed that into a can. Then, using the electric fuel pump, turn the ignition to auxilary and let the fuel pump fill the can. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work or might be dangerous?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

just my 2 cents go to parts store and get a hand pump and stick it in the tank thru the cap and pump out what you need

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I once added a "T" fitting with a valve to my fuel line so I could easily pump fuel out into anything. I never had a problem but I was always worried about it leaking. It did help out on several occasions when 3-wheeling and when I found people out of gas. Everyone thought it was really cool to just pull up there, drop a piece of 3/8" hose into their vehicle, and pump over a few gallons to get them going.

Your suggestion should be ok, I can't think of why not. It's just going to be messy.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I thought about that, but I think there is a screen or some other device in the filler tube to prevent theives from siphoning gas out of the tanks.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Now there's a thought! That would be handy since I might be doing this more than once. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip [​IMG]

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

See I learn evey time I open my mouth can someone tell me if that it true (if there is a screen in the filler tube ) I was going to get a hand pump and keep it in my goddie box for that reason thanks for the info in advance...