Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draining the doubler, 203 side

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by FWP, Jan 28, 2003.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I didn't see anyway, other than removing the inspection cover off the side of the 203. Mabe the ORD adapter should have a hole in it with a small plug to make it easier????

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The easy way is to hiest your wifes turkey baister when she is not looking . You can suck it right out. Found that out after a really deep water crossing the not only filled the 203 with water creating a chocolate looking substance, and wiped out the fan clutch. Just make sure the 90WT is a little warm so it will flow.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Some early 203's had a drain in the big boss cast into the bottom of the case, you could drill and tap it.
    You might be able to drill through the casting in one of the bolt holes so you'd just pull a bolt to drain it, like maybe the bottom PTO cover bolt? I've done that with a diff so I could tell if it had water in it without cracking the gasket.

Or just pull the PTO cover and let it all fall out. Kind of a pain to seal back up but not bad. I think drilling a small hole through the bottom PTO cover bolt hole or in the big bottom boss is the best idea.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

When building a doubler shouldn't you weld a bung in the PTO cover and drill the hole out so you have a drain plug for it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's a possibility. Or just send an extra PTO cover gasket to seal it back up. Guys running in water might have some need to just drain the box without opening up to inspect but in our case (not much wet) we've just changed the oil every few years whether it needs it or not. And it usually doesn't.
    The PTO gasket is going to be available at any truck dealership, ford, dodge or GM. The PTO port is standard among all the trucks and it is current manufacture.

We might look at changing the cover around. We keep making the kit better and better and keeping the price the same (studs for 205, one piece adapter, billet shaft, etc), this might fall into the same catagory.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My donor 1977 203 range case came w/ a boss for a drain plug , so I will be drilling and tapping while I re-bearing the range box .

7. FWP

FWP CRS

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We might look at changing the cover around. We keep making the kit better and better and keeping the price the same (studs for 205, one piece adapter, billet shaft, etc), this might fall into the same catagory.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of where I was headed /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, just putting out a need that might come up more often in the future....

Thanks