Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draining water from air compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 20, 2003.

I've got a Porter Cable 25 gallon air compressor and the instructions say to open the valve on the bottom of the tank after each use to let the water out so the tank doesn't rust internally. When I open the valve when there is about 40 psi still in the tank it will let the water out until it is down to 0 psi. If I turn the compressor back on with the valve open it still lets some water out. How do I know if all the water is out of the tank or isn't it possible to get it all out?

1. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Leave the valve open for a bit with no pressure in the tank, that will allow you to get almost all the water out.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've got an older Craftsman one and I am constantly draining water out of it. I have a filter on the line which catches some of it. I have to drain it regularly. It is a pain in the butt, especially when I was sandblasting.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

You can install a automatic drain with a timer that will open the drain for a few seconds every few minutes. I use one of these and it helps a lot. I also use a drier inline after the compressor that takes all of the moisture out of the air supply.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Which inline dryer are you using? I've seen those and they look awfully small. One of these days I need to upgrade my compressor though. I just can't bring myself to do it as long as the old one works....

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Doug, The dryer is a Quincy QIED0065 - 40 CFM and does a great job. Bill