Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draper Lake-Oklahoma City

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 18, 2001.

I recently bought a '86 K5 and have been out putting it through it's paces in OKC. There is a a lake here that is completely surrounded with trails. Obsticles range from rudy-poo to mind boggling! Rain is a bonus, because mudholes appear from nowhere. My Blazer is pretty close to stock. A new 305, heavy duty shocks, and 31x10.5 15 mudders are the only things I'm sure of. After crawling underneath it last night to replace a rear end pinion seal, I'm not so sure. It has been converted to manual hubs. I am pretty much a novice or rank amatuer at best, but firmly believe God made four wheel drives to be used as such. Anyway, the trails and scenery at Draper Lake are excellent. Rock, sand, mud, and beautiful Oklahoma "Red Dirt" abound everywhere. I have spent 3 1/2 days running trails and have just touched the tip of the iceberg. The things I have learned from running these trails are 1. I need a winch, BAD! 2. There is no such thing as too much ground clearance. 3. Clay mud is thicker than molasses in Winter. 4. If at first you don't succeed, drop it in 4 low and punch it!

1. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

I thought it was illegal to drive a truck in there. Are you on the roads or trails?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

It is legal to drive around some parts of the lake. There are dirt roads that get a little hairy at times. There is one stream crossing that is fun to play in. It's mainly an atv area. I have some pics on my website. <a target="_blank" href=http://member.aol.com/ChadH82/eco/tpdrap.html>http://member.aol.com/ChadH82/eco/tpdrap.html</a>

Chad

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Stanley Draper, isn't that the place where they dump bodies around here??? Oklahoma clay is another paint color. Covers everything. I was out in Caddo county last October and I am still flushing the stuff out from under the K5.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator