Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dreaded, stupid drivshaft/cv questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Apr 20, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

OK I will just say my blazer know's how to stump me some times.

here is some info..

I add a 14 bolt ff and echo-bit shackle flip and my stock drive shaft goes in perfect and has room. This is 5 inches of lift from the shackle flip and 2.5 inch sky jacker springs too, so around 7-8 inches in the rear.

What I realize is that now my pinion is pointed sky high, and I don't really want to add a tappered zero rate because then I am just adding more hight to the problem.

Solution?

I think a CV shaft is in order, but will that cure the problem's? I just dont want to be eating my u-joints alive though. I also have a mild 396 big block with a t-400 and 203 t-case.

I would like to just call Jesse and say build the best ya can, but I would only like to spend 250.00 on this, Am I dreaming? Or can I get a non one ton cv shaft done for this price.

I am open to ideas so what do you guys recommend? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

why not reweld the pearches at the appropriate angle?

3. supersize75

Well I really am not up for that, also would't I still have issues because of the lift hight? Basicly, want to know who is running a cv how hard they wheel and if its worth it. I just dont want the hassle of eating u-joints, I do have 2 identical shafts though, should mine go out. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i had a stock driveshft lengthened and the u-joints let go on the freeway. not good.

I've had a really HD CV driveshaft made locally and it's been great. But my rig is a poser, so it wouldn't have a chance to break.

5. supersize75

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif how much $$$$$

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

alot.

i think you can get them from Jesse for around $500. try PM'ing him or check out his website

7. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a cv joint rear driveshaft and like it alot.
    Have not had any problems. I paid 275.00 for the custom shaft.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i really dont think $250 is goin to be a big enough budget for a c/v style drive line...i would plan on a min of 300 and up..before i put my BAMF C/V shaft i was killin a c/v shaft about every 3 months..and my angles were right on where they needed to be for a c/v..the ones they were building just couldent handle my heavy foot...and i prob went through about 5 drive lines befor i fianly just broke down and bought the BAMF..had it in there since may of last year and it has handeled the sand dunes in oregon, pismo, and my very short 300 yard dash into the rubicon before i broke /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (ripped the steering box off the frame)..if you have the money to spend this shaft would be the way to go...you would never break it...belive me i have tried...the shaft that i have was the 2nd one they had ever built..and they told me if i could break it they would fix it/replace it for free.. about all i have had to do to it was keep it greased up and had it straighted once(damn rock). there is my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    What says you have to use tapered Zero-rates?

Why not simply use 6* alignment shims to correct the problme? They bolt through the leaf pack and barley add 1/4" of ride height.

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i had one made here in las vegas for about $225. i still has the 1/2 ton u-joints, but they gauranteed it for a year. when i told the guy that i went wheeling and some rock crawling, he just laughed and promised me that the way he made it, it wouldn't break. the only part i didn't like is that it's a cadilac CV and slip yoke. if you're interested in coming this far to get one done i'll get you their number. i imagine that he could make you the one ton shaft for not much more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rick