Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dremel tools

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Jan 25, 2001.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Do you think a cordless dremel tool could cut a u-bolt off a 3/4 ton or 1 ton axle? I am having trouble fathoming this feat. I know if you keep at it for awhile maybe but in 10 min. or so?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could just get a cutting wheel for a regular drill, could go faster that way or just bust out the 'ol hacksaw [​IMG]

Murphy's Law :
    "When you don't know what your doing, do it neatly."

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am sure the battery would were out before you cut threw it.

Become one with nature.......Then marinate it..

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thats what I am saying but I was told you could do this. I was going to use the plasma cutter. to get the stupid things off. I think that is too much though. I have a cut off wheel for our die grinder also. Just looking for feed back on the dremel thing. Can you use a cut off wheel on a cordless DeWalt? I am thinking the RPMs arent there. reason I am asking is I came into a bunch of Dana 60/70 and 14 bolt rears with various ratios. Wanted to get these off and sold. They are from 1 tons and 3/4 tons. I am getting them off and rewelding the perches, with 2x2 box, to buyers specs.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't think a cordless Dremel would have enough juice in 1 battery to do a u-bolt. If you're doing many, you'll probably kill that little Dremel. Not enough tool for the job. I'd say use the cutoff wheel on the die grinder; it'll be much faster and less of a headache.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I am looking at the frames trying to figure out whether I have bitten off more than I can chew. It almost doesnt seem like its worth the hassle.

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You'd probably wipeout the nation's supply of little cut off wheels before you got the first one cut. I'd go with the die grinder, or failing that, I've gotten them off real quick with a cut off wheel in the circular saw.

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

*Id use the plasma cutter no fuss just do away with them

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

All right, there is no need to rag on the dremel, just because it's small. I have cut through 1/2 ton U-bolts with a plug-in dremel lots of times. It takes about 1 minute and 1 of those big black cut-off wheels for each one. The cordless one will annoy you with the slow progress due to the recharges. For making this many cuts, I would go with something bigger.

How about if I come over and cut them all off for you and then take just one axle home with me? [​IMG]

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>