Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dremu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, May 20, 2006.

?

Do you like it better?

1. Yes, its better

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. It is better, but still needs more design work

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. no, i dont like it better

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. its awesome! Branndon, your a nerd!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. naked

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i can update the speed and looks of the brochure site if you'd like. Here's an example

ONLY THE SUBURBAN TAB WORKS FOR THE MOST PART (upto 89)
    http://www.ck5junk.com/brochures/ (pictures load slow)

and for those if you who dont know, here's the original
    http://brochures.slosh.com/
    i was going to host the images my self, but it was taking for ever to download and upload all of them.

i'll still tweak it by maybe adding a header and such.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I kinda liked it the way it was , well except for the this page intentionally left blank thing :thumb:

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think it is way better. Much more "user friendly".

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

To flashy, not accesible from phone or other browers other than popular ones, browser navigation buttons don't work (back, forward, in mozilla they are dehiglighted all together, in IE back goes to your homepage).
    I prefer function over form. I use dremu's brochures all the time, from lots of places.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

no back button? Theres no where to go back too. its all on one page. and I never thought anyone would use it from their phone because the files are too large... there pretty big file wise. I'll give it a few more days, but it looks like its a no go for now

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Just MHO. When you pick a brochure page, you should be able to go back if you want to pick another year/page or whatever. I can't without re-loading the original URL.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ahh, your missing the black X close button on the bottom of the picture. The pictures are large, but if you look at the bottom, theres a close button :)

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, definitely nerdy, in a flashy sort of way :D Me, I'm nerdy in an anti-bling sort of way. I like stuff that will work in every browser including Lynx ... which of course sort of blows the Brochures site, or at least the primary content :)

Remember there's a lot more there than the brochures proper, though. You've organized it backwards (truck first, year second) which prolly makes more sense for someone lookine for something specific, but it means you hafta categorize a LOT of 'weird' stuff or make an 'other' category for the things that match the Blazer *and* the Burbs, pickups, etc. :dunno:

I take it y'all don't like the navigation I have? Nobody's mailed me to tell me these things!

I was gonna redo the main shtml so that it can handle both sub-frames, so you can bookmark specific pages, etc... but I s'pose it needs some simplification as well. I wanted to finish the search engine (LOTS of manual typing) first 'fore I went and re-did anything.

When you say "faster", is this an issue with the performance of my ISP, or do you mean just in the finding of things?

-- A

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i just mean the ISP, it takes me 10-30 seconds every time I click something for it to finish the process. I understand you want something that can work for everyone. If your site worked smoothly I would look around on it more. I just wanted to see if I could help. I never think of other browsers though ;) anyway i'll scrap what I have.

10. dremu

Well, I for one will NEVER use IE. (Well, except for Yahoo! Games that don't run in FF, though I gather there's an IE-rendering plugin for it now :) )

Anyway, I use a local copy so I don't know what my ISP's performance is like ... ANYTHING is better than the cablemodem hosting I used to do though =))

Lemme try it from another place -- my office or something -- and see how bad it is. Hmm. (Boy am I glad I didn't do a CGI for the images! :haha: )

-- A

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont use IE either, mainly FF and i keep ie handy. thanks for hosting the site though, its a good resource

12. dremu

No worries ... but a resource you can't get to isn't so useful :( Just what I need, more projects :haha:

-- A