Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drill and tap steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy_swede_73, Sep 23, 2004.

1. crazy_swede_73

crazy_swede_73 Registered Member

i'm installing hydro assist on my -85 k5 , and need help on where to drill and tap the steering box.. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

3. crazy_swede_73

found two pics,, for a two wheel box,,is it the same for a 4wheel box?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you buy your hydro from some where in Europe or is it home made?

5. crazy_swede_73

Nope...US made,,its a rockstomper ramassist 1.5" cylinder,,,

6. crazy_swede_73

7. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

8. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    OK thanks, seen theirs. I was just hoping you may have found a local source to cut down on shipping! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    OK thanks, seen theirs. I was just hoping you may have found a local source to cut down on shipping! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys don't use hydraulics in your country? Why can't you just get yourself a ram, tap the box, and run some hoses?

10. southernspeed

It's just a matter of knowing what to buy. Stroke, bore, fixings etc. Could be done but it would be a lot easier to buy a ready made kit. I think Rockstomper may be getting some business from me. Fancy some of their beadlocks too...but they are REALLY going to cost to ship!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1.5-2" ram depending on street use, and 8" stroke. It's really not rocket science. A bunch of guys here, me included, have made our own hydro ram assist setups.

12. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i did my own set up
    i used a 2"bore with a 8" stroke
    i got all the info from here how to hydrolic assist
    it was fairly simple once you know where to drill and tap /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif i also modifyed my pump got ther info from here pump mods
    i don't know how others have made out with the pump mod it sounds like they might go through a few pumps
    i did a little more to my pump after i thought it was screwed
    but i'm still useing the origonal pump and i'll have to see if it acts up any more. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. southernspeed

Thanks for the info. Decided to build my own too! Is that Dodge pump the same as a chevy then? It also looks like he's used the 2 wheel drive one which I believe you have to use with cross over. Are the drilling places the same?
    One more thing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif what are the problems you mention with the pump? The guy on the Ramcharger site doesn't mention pump mods apart from a neck extention. Is the std Chevy pump not up to the job?? Thanks for any advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i found this cheap and easy solution,,,or i'll just beef /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gifup my caps,,

http://www.emsoffroad.com/hydroassist.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that end cap from EMS. Very heavy duty, quality oiece. Still need ot tap my top cap

15. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

yea the dodge and the chevy use the same box /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifand yes you do have to use a 2x box for the crossover or might be able to swap out the sector shaft from a 4x to a 2x /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif you need the 2x one so you can clock you pitman arm in the right spot.
    as for the pump the stock one will work but i found it a little slow when your at a idle or not moving i use a 2" ram
    if you use a 1.5" bore it might turn faster with a stock pump
    i haven't come to a solid conclusion about my pump yet
    the first time i went out mud bogging after i modifyed it i reved 5-6g and it never worked verry good after that i don't know if something got stuck in the preassure valve or what but i replaced the valve and modifyied it some more threw it back in the same pump and it works again. i don't know how many people have problems with there modifyed pump but i'll let you know how mine works /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. southernspeed

Thanks, think I'll stick with the stock pump to start with and see how it performs. Does anyone manufacture a 'high performance' pump that bolts straight on rather than trying these 'hit and miss' upgrades? Don't like the idea of blowing my new ram or steering box to pieces!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    My ram and hoses are on their way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I'd better put some time aside to get fitting them! And the roll bar, the rebuilt motor, the spots, the suspension upgrades, the sway bar disconects, the ......think you get the picture!
    When are they going to put 8 days in the week anyway?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif