Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drill another hole in the spring perch to relocate the axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Mar 25, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Did a search but came up empty.

Could you drill another hole in the spring perch to relocate the axle or would there be too much stress put on the spring perch causing problems? My reason would be to relocate the axle without an add-a-leaf, or zero-rate offset. Also would doing this and have shims be a problem?

Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Doing it with shims will definately be a problem because the shim would be hanging off of the spring perch. You'd be better off drilling gthe springs anyways. </font>

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can redrill the perch and spring plate but only about 1 1/2" before the bolt is no longer pinched between the two. Going farther could lead to a broken spring pack right at the bolt so keep it sandwiched between the two. You could potentially run a shim as well, but you would have to redrill the shim to match, depending on the shims, this might not be possible. There are a bunch of people making steel zero rates which not only offset the axle but also have a degree taper built in to them. Its a slick way to take care of all three in one shot.

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I made my own zero rates which moves my axle back 1", now my next dillema is the driveshaft, I allready paid for it but before it gets made I need to kick up the pinion angle a touch, I already re welded my perches twice, different story, and I don't want to doit again, so I was thinking of tapered offsets, how do I figure out what degree they need to be? Mike

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I moved my back axle back 1" by drilling another hole 1" forward in my spring perches (that I made). You will also have to notch the spring plate. The front axle would be harder because it is cast and not mild steel.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I did this on my front axle and it worked great. It ended up moving 1.25" forward. It made such a difference in fenderwell cleareance that I'm thinking of going back to a 4" spring.