Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drill Press rebuild

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by mofugly13, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I just started by getting the gear box apart, doesn't look too bad. Some surface rust and siezed/rusty bearings, but a little cleanup and new bearings should do the trick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of this stuff wiped right off with some WD40 and a rag.
    [​IMG]

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That thing is going to be pretty damn cool once you get it back to working order. When i first seen this thing being given away i wanted it but didn't think i could manage getting it here. Fortunately you did get it here and you've got one of the baddest drill presses there are. Nothing beats a gear driven drill press.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Niiiice Matt, I wanted to crack that case so bad, me and UYB could hardly contain ourselves....;)

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Wow!!!

All that to drill precise holes :eek1: :eek1: :bow: :bow: !

Or in 'Fumes case, mix drinks!!!!

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's killer man. how will you replace the bearings? i mean, where will you get bearings for something that old?

6. 4X4HIGH

That's the easy part. You simply buy them from dimensions not by a part number.

7. colbystephens

makes sense. who is a good supplier of something like that?

8. 4X4HIGH

Any auto parts store can get those bearings. We do that at work all the time. There is also a place here in Fremont called Applied Industrial Technology that is a good source for stuff like that.

9. colbystephens

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Let us know how the motor looks when you get there. :D

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

AIT can probably get most automotive bearings cheaper than Napa as well... at least if you can use your company account there and tell them your paying with petty cash :whistle:

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

:wink1: :laugh: :D Should be a runner.. :haha:

13. mofugly13

I havent figured out how to get the motor off yet, but I'm running downstairs in a minute to see if the Kroil has freed up anything else. The second photo is of the end of the motor shaft, and I think it is slipped over an inner shaft on the armature. I gave it a try pulling it off last night, but I figured I'd douse it with oil and and let it sit overnight and see if anything comes loose. Dont want to force anything on this guy, it looks like the large gears are fiber, they look like laminated fiber by the photo.

I need to mention that the armature spins freely and there dont seem to be any shorts in the stator winding, I hope all I have to do is give it a fresh bearing.

14. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Good to see you digging right in! Gear box looks good, and that little bit of rust may have been from the rain on the drive down south. If anyone ever asks about your sig line, are you gonna give them a link to this thread? :rotfl:

15. colbystephens

ummm... jeep parts? in your garage???

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not to mention that they're nation-wide. They also have automotive applications parts book(s) so you shouldn't need to know the dimensions for the common bearings.

17. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

congrats Matt on the drill press! very interested in how good an old dog like that will be after a freshining up. being all gear drive like it is it should be great.

I bought a 69' Powermatic four head gang drill press (4 single heads) from a machine shop I once worked at bout 7 years ago for 400 bucks. the 4 heads sat on a 2 ft X 5 ft Blanchard ground cast iron table with a coolant trough cast around the perifery of the table. the table top alone is about 550 lbs!

I rebuilt one head, new bearings and new single faze Baldor motor. it was a belt drive head. gave one to my bud for helping me rewire it and my compressor. junked the other two heads.

it ended up being ok but it was just too hi RPM for steel. so I junked it, but kept the motor which now runs my lathe. I still have the table which is great for precision jig and fixture type work with it being groud like it is.

I priced a new table exactly like the one I have out of MSC industrial with no drill heads ofcourse and it was 1600 bucks! so my 400 dollar plus the motor and bearings and time was worth it even though I eventually junked the drill head.

have fun with your project, I know you will, as I did.

18. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

as far as bearings go call APPLIED INDUSTRIAL TECHNONOGIES, 13723 Harvard Place, Gardena Ca. 90249. 1 310 515 5882. also sc0847@applied.com.

they are the local bearing house that have been supplying the south bay machine industry for decades. every machine shop I have ever worked at has had an account with this company. its where I got bearings for my press. also have bought many bearings for shops I have been at here, never did they not have what we needed.

19. mofugly13

I got all the siezed bearings loose, and spinning freely, just a bit of rust was binding them up. I bet that if I greased the bearings and put it back together now, It would operate fine. But since I have it all apart, I might as well replace the bearings. I can handle the spindle bearings, but I might need to go to a shop to have the gear shaft bearings replaced. That is unless I can figure out a good way to press them all off. I don't have a press by the way, yet...The good thing, is that all the roller bearings in the picture appear to be the same.

I scraped all that peeling paint off, and it looks pretty damn decent underneath, still plenty of original paint left, that is NOT peeling. I had a bunch of rain while driving into the city, also, so that probably contributed to the rust as well.

Yeah there's jeep parts in my garage, they're fo another turd I have, a '45-'56 or so Willys MB, CJ2, CJ3 heap that's been sitting for twenty years now, I'll get to her one day......

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

fock it dood free it up and run it, that was my thinking. I figured the bearings were toast anyway, now atleast you know.
    I'd repack and get it going. Now get to drilling holes...:D