Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drill press--What kind ya got?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OL14BLAZ, Nov 1, 2002.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Looking at getting one pretty soon and wanted to know what you guys and gals use. Bench mount, floor mount, brand, voltage, etc.,etc.,

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have a Bridgeport mill I use as a drillpress.And you can use it for other stuff too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd LOVE to have a Bridgeport! That's a toy that could get me into a lot of trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif A buddy of mine in Massachusetts has one in his basement. And we ain't talkin' about a walkout basement! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm just glad that I wasn't there while they were moving it down there! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Which model of the Bridgeport mills do you have and where did you find yours? Did you buy it new or used?

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The neibours! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I use a floor mounted Delta Milwalky.. It is speed adjustable by belt adjustment. It has a small milling table that will bolt to the work surface.

This press is older than I am and works perfect. Being a tool junkie, I have compaired it to many new models.. Craftsman, etc... I think I would hit yard sales and stuff and pick up some older model cus the new stuff doesnt impress me... the stuff that does I cant afford

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I've got 5 Fadels....40" x 20" and 1 60" x 40"

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Its a mid 70s model.It has dial indicators to measure X and Y travel and power feed.It has alot of miles on it but it works great.I found it used at a machine shop supply place here local.I had a bunch of tooling that had to be made at work and told the owner of where I work that if he bought it I would learn how to use it.So he did /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think we paid $2800

I also have a Sharp mill.It has everything,digital XYZ readout,power feed on the X and Y and the knee,a myster system,and an air draw bar.This is a $35k machine and is like new.I got it from a big tool and die shop back east that I deal with for $1500.The reason they got rid of it is that it was too big and nobody wanted to use it .Lucky me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif