Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drilled holes in carrier. Is it ruined?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 27, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I had to drill a couple of holes in my carrier to remove the broken retaining bolt. Someone told me that this may ruin the carrier because it is not as strong where the pin (bolt) goes into the pinion shaft. Is this true? there are only two small holes on either side of the pinion shaft. I am using as a daily driver, so it will not recieve any hard wear and tear. I would rather not replace the carrier, but I dont want to reinstall a faulty carrier either.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Undoubtedly you've altered the strength. How much? Well, we'll probably need a picture to decide whether you can still use it. Got one?

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

The one I have needs new spider gears. I can pick up a rebuilt posi for 250 with gears and new spring plates, and new bearings. Would I just be smart to do this and not worry? I feel like that is a good price and might just save a lot of hassle.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you were just going to throw the carrier back in and spend no real money on it, I'd say run it, ust be EASY on it.

If you want to "upgrade" it by spending money, start with a better base. It would be like throwing a weak crank into a $10,000 race motor. The motor is not going to last, and your $10,000 just went down the drain.

I took a sawzall to one of my 8.5's to get the pin out (just cut right next to the pinion shaft) and I was thinking that I could *probably* run it as is. But since I wasn't needing the open carrier, I scrapped it.

Buddy has an S10 Blazer we replaced the 7.5" in. Gov-lock before and after. I cracked the carrier trying to shear that pin by pounding on it with a drift and hammer, (I was new to this) then I took it back since the thing was guaranteed to be "good". No, I didn't feel bad about that, since I needed to get the brake backing plates off, it WASN'T good. They had the pin drilled out, and we re-installed it. Like 4 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Still running and driving every day.

5. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

for 250 i would get the posi with gears no worrys its worth the 250 in my opinion

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The only purpose of the bolt is to keep the cross shaft in the carrier. It doesn't really see a lot of force. I really wouldn't worry about it if you aren't thrashing around off road much.

7. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

agreed it maybe a slight bit weaker but as long as the holes are "small" then you will be fine!! Under normal driving! I have done this and mine worked for years without a problem and I beat on it!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif