Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drilling 14ff Yoke to hold Ubolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim Johnson, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I busted teh strap and it slight broke off a piece of teh "ear" of the yoke. I bought some 1350 ubolt and I am currently drilling out holes to hold the U-bolts....Anyone else try this?

I figured the Ear of the yoke should be fine since all the pressure will be applied direct to U-joint and the back side of Yoke....

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep I've done it You have to grind a littleextra space on the back so that the nut will sit flat (and have room to get a wrench on it )

3. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

when i bought my 1350 yoke for my dana44, it looked like they drilled out the threads and switched it to ubolts
    so id say its ok, that was from oru,
    "44 beaf-yeah baby" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the little ear the centers the U-joint is broken off the U-joint can still move outward under rotational forces. Replace the yoke with another one and then drill out for the U-bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If the little ear the centers the U-joint is broken off the U-joint can still move outward under rotational forces. Replace the yoke with another one and then drill out for the U-bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The ears that keep the joint from sliding out are fine, the part that barely broke is the old surface area where the other strap sit flat on, and it only basically chipped of one corner - 90% is still there....

I got the yoke drilled out, but come to find that I need longer u-bolts, mine only show about 3 threads.....