Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drilling and taping cast diff housing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tweaker, Jun 26, 2005.

1. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

Mar 21, 2004
    i want to know if anyone here has experiance drilling and taping on cast. and how well it works etc. my d60 has one good bolt and the other keeps just spinning and doesn't grab at the base like it used too. at least my d44 i could just replace a broken u-bolt closest to the pumpkin.

thanks in advance
    Dillon Carson
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Shouldn't be any different than an exhaust manifold stud replacement, also cast.

If the area is large enough, I'd recommend a thread-sert. They require a fair amount of surrounding material though, as you drill the hole out to the next size that will leave "virgin" thread area, then tap it with a standard tap, and install the threadsert which brings it back to stock bolt size.
  3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    I think he's using the wrong size bolt currently and that might be why he thinks he needs to repair the bolt hole. On our club website he says he would rather use the new 5/8" fine thread bolt instead of the 9/16" course bolt. I thought ALL GM D60's used 5/8" x 11 bolts from the factory? :confused: