Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drilling spring perches...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tryin to relocate my front axle and I wanna do it by drilling the spring perch 1" back from center. Since the spring center pin is 9/16" (ie, bigger than my 1/2" bits!) how should I do this? Would a dremel and a lot of time/effort be enough to bore it out a lil bigger if I got the holes drilled to 1/2" first?? I know the hole wouldnt be flawlessly uniform, but would it be an acceptable way to do it?? I used a center punch to locate the drill bit where I want it and the factory perches on my d60 seem like pretty soft steel.... any1 else done this?

j

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The easiest way is to use a 9/16 drill bit. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

But as long as a you ground uniformaly, the dremel should work. You are only taking off 0.0313" in every direction. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just go and get yourself a 9/16's drill bit, you can pick them up really cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

You need a stepped drill bit to fit into your chuck. MSC has them or any machine tool supply place.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you will need to also pick up an even larger bit to drill the spring plate. i think you need a 5/8 or bigger. i forget how big the nut is corner to corner.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

9/16" is the drill size you need, you can get one with a 1/2" shank to fit your drill motor...or just use a zero rate with a off-set hole... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Be careful and don't get it to close to the edge. If you do, it will make fatigue failures at the pin location much more likely. Ideally the pin area should be well stabilized, clamped between the the perch and plate.

8. jekbrown

plates arent a problem, i have JKW's 3/4" thick solid steel spring plates and they are already machined to allow for the axle relocation... its just the perches I have to worry about. I pondered selling my current zero rates and getting the newer ones that have the offset capability... but I just dont like the idea of a spring pack with 2 seperate center bolts in it. I'd much rather have the packs with just 1 center pin and just mounted to a offset in the perch.

I dunno where u guys are finding these "cheap" 9/16" bits that can drill through steel... all the ones I see are $pendy. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyway, thanks much for the input... Im gonna go ahead and get em bored out to 1/2" tomorow morning and go from there. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

the big is 10 bucks at lowe's..
    go buy it...
    then go back later and say it dulled right up (which it will)
    and get your 10 bucks back... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. jekbrown

lowes eh? If the hole was already at 1/2"... it shouldnt be much work for the bit to get it up to 9/16"... hmmm... $10? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i bought a 3/4 inch drill bit for 16 bucks...

returned it 2x (3 bits total) to be able to drill 3 knucksles otu for TRE's...

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why would a HSS bit dull after two holes in mild steel?

Rene

13. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

lack of lubrication and incentive to get a refund.

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Hmm, sounds kind of like fraud to me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Maybe that's why it is so hard to run a business these days.

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    main problem is you can't hold it steady enough, the bigger drills will chatter and dull the leading edge when done by hand...now if you could somehow clamp the zero rate to the leaf pad and use it as a drill bushing (put the drill through the zero rate hole) it will hold the drill in place and extend the life some...good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree. I refuse to put extra holes in the spring pack for new center pins. Others do it and get away with it, much like many other questionable practices, but it's simply over my threshold of comfort. I made 2" offset bolt in plates for my front axle that are longer than stock plate/perch in the offset direction so that the spring area around the pin is still fully stabilized. I also put a radius on the edge and a blend to eliminate the sharp edge for the spring to work against.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    main problem is you can't hold it steady enough, the bigger drills will chatter and dull the leading edge when done by hand...now if you could somehow clamp the zero rate to the leaf pad and use it as a drill bushing (put the drill through the zero rate hole) it will hold the drill in place and extend the life some...good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have added a smilie to my comment >>> /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif<<<

Drill rpm and technique will keep that bit sharp for a long time even without a drill bushing/guide. Just because a drill motor will spin at 1400 rpm doesn't mean that's the ideal speed for every size bit you have. Keep it slow, and if all you're doing is enlarging a hole keep the pressure on the bit very light and let it do the work. I have bit's up to 3/4" that I've had for probably 10 years or more...

I drilled new center pin holes in my 57's with a 1/2" drill motor, 7/16" bit for the larger Ford center pins, and I drilled through 10 individual leaf springs without dulling or chipping the bit.

Purposely dulling a bit to take it back for refund is pretty 'low' IMHO.

Rene

18. jekbrown

yeah, cant use the zero rate as a guide, the hole Im drilling is larger than the hole in the center of a zero rate. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, on my way to lowes now... gonna bite the bullet and get a 9/16" bit.

BTW, what kinda clearance around a center pin should a spring perch have? how much is too much?

j