Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drilling ujt end caps for zerk fitting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ned Kelly, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's hard to get at the grease zerk fitting thats in the center at the cross section of my ujt. I do alot of mudding and like to lube after each outing. I'm thinking of drilling all four ujt end cups and installing a zerk so I can lube each cup individually. I'm also thinking I'll put a brass plug in the center of the ujt channel (the channel that is cross drilled through the ujt body for grease to flow through). With a zerk on each cup, the brass plug will force the grease to escape from the cup being lubed, and not allow the new grease to flow to the other cups. This should insure thorough cup lubrication and easy access to all four zerks. Any reasons I shouldn't do this?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

its been covered lots of times. but in short a good ( spicer or other ) non drilled cross from the factory with non greasable will last longer.

and good luck with std tools drilling the hardened caps.

also if you want to try get the needle adaptor for the concaved c/v grease fittings. it can also get you in tighter places and just center it on the zerks ball and grease away. it works for me. but if i can truly help it even at work i will not install greaseables as most places for get to hit them anymore also.

3. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

X2 on the needle tip working for hard to get to zerks. You can even get to all of them on a Front D-shaft CV joint with one if you set up the cv joint right.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I imagine that even if you were able to drill the hardened cap, you would create so much heat you would temper it and thus weaken the cap, not to mention balance issued if you start putting zerks on the ends.