Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drinking Problem.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, May 10, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, since I put the motor and the 35's on the Jimmy she has had a drinking problem. It has taken me close to a year to admit it but today I am. So I am ceasing the work Ihave temporarily and going to go and buy me a J**P. Yes, I am going to do, have to have something to get better gas mileage. I can no longer handle 6-8 mpg doing a 30 minute commute and plus it will give me more time to work on the Stomper. Gas prices are shooting through the roof. 2 bucks a gallon. Wsn't bad when I first got here from CA. I was still considering it cheap but now it is just way too outrageous /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifThe Cherokee isn't cheesy either. 3" lift 30" tires plus here is the kicker......... It gets 20 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Will probably use it as a second trail rig too.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hear ya, thats why skunk gets left at home alot in favor of the little blazer, of course i will drop it if anything /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I feel ya, Life Sucks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's why I've got a DD. 10 MPG sucks. If you're only getting 8, something isn't running right.

I personally wouldn't care if it was five anyway. I love my truck and I'll drive it as long as I can afford to keep gas in it.

It's just too rough on the road to drive every day though.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a drinking problem too.......two kids, a nagging wife and a dead end job, it was bound to happen. And to make it worse my K5 only gets about 7mpg. I can't even afford to drink and drive. Choices choices choices. So now I just walk to the store, buy a case and come back home, pop a top, sit in the blazer in the yard and watch the cars go by. I have to work on J**Ps to earn beer money. Oh yeah, I'll see ya sometime this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 79Stomper

Looking forward to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just give me a heads up as to when to expect you up here.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am pretty lucky when it comes to driving a big truck around. I live in Las Vegas, which is a pretty Metropolitan type of town. No matter where you live in this town, things like shopping, entertainment, and grocery stores are only a few miles away. The average commute to work in Las Vegas is only about 10 miles. My 1-Ton 3+3 Crew Cab (non-Dualie) 4X4 P/U, with a 350, 3-inch lift, and 35" tires, gets about 11 to 12 MPG on the surface streets and about 14 to 15 MPG on the open road. If I fill both tanks, which costs about $90, I can cruise around town in it for about two and one-half weeks. It is when I decide to take long weekend trips that it starts to kill me.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

not quite as bad as your's, but I hear ya. the only thing keeping me driving mine as a DD is that I only live 3 miles from work one way and try to keep it on the road only then, until Sunday comes, then I may drive it to Sneads Ferry for some fishing.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

yep i feel it to even with tbi on the 350 in the burb it still cost me about 60 bucks every 2 weeks. I totaly lucked out though and got an 87 toyota camry in great GREAT shape for 100 bucks and it gets 30+miles per gallon!

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just paid $2.49 p/gallon for premium 91 octane fuel from a 76 station. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif F'n OPEC really pisses me off. I don't believe for a second that there is a shortage. They just don't want to pump as much out of the ground because they want to keep the prices up. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. 79Stomper

I agree with you on that one. Keep taking them up and dropping them to "let us get used to the prices. What it is is they want some time off for the summer months so they cut production, hence raising the price per drum of crude and it goes down hill after that. Only 50 something percent of the cost of gas actually goes for the cost of gas. 22% on state and federal taxes 14% to school tax and something else in there too. That is the breakdown here in NC. Was just curious and looked it up the other day.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am pretty lucky when it comes to driving a big truck around. I live in Las Vegas, which is a pretty Metropolitan type of town. No matter where you live in this town, things like shopping, entertainment, and grocery stores are only a few miles away. The average commute to work in Las Vegas is only about 10 miles. My 1-Ton 3+3 Crew Cab (non-Dualie) 4X4 P/U, with a 350, 3-inch lift, and 35" tires, gets about 11 to 12 MPG on the surface streets and about 14 to 15 MPG on the open road. If I fill both tanks, which costs about $90, I can cruise around town in it for about two and one-half weeks. It is when I decide to take long weekend trips that it starts to kill me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What gears do you have? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

14. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4.10:1 on 35" tires.

15. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Pretty good mpg#'s!

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Cherokee isn't cheesy either. 3" lift 30" tires plus here is the kicker......... It gets 20 mpg

[/ QUOTE ]

if i were to get anything made by jeep, it would be the cherokee, those things are pretty sweet. i cant stand those dang wranglers.

17. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Just last week my daily driver 93 toy xtra cab 4x4 started to give me problems so I had to drive the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif 70 miles round trip to work for 4 days straight. 44" boggers+ 454+ 5.13 gears don't help with the gas but it still gets 8mpg. I run 93 oct that just went up to $2.05 gal & sometimes I have to add octane boost.