Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dripping OIL?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Mar 21, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I just noticed about a week ago that I seem to be having an oil leak on my Jimmy('87). It's coming out somewhere in the back of the engine. Back by the fly wheel. When I look under the truck, there is oil all over my "in need of repair" front driveshaft. Actually it just started to get bad in the past couple of weeks. What I mean is, the oil spot is getting a lot bigger. The under carriage is starting to get oily too. My dad says the next thing on the money pit agenda is a new engine. What kind of engine would you guys recommend and what could I do to the new one to get more horsepower?? If I get a new engine I'll just go ahead and put headers on it while the new engine is out of the truck. Let me know. Thanks

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The rear seal is leaking. From what I understand it is a bit of a job to replace.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That sounds like the rear main seal. Not fun...It may be a oil pan leak or maby a oil sending unit that has been leaking a long time but prob the rear main..call around and see how huch that costs to repair...Im sorry.

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

that's great. oh well. guess i'm going to start calling around. thanks guys

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check your oil sender . It could be leaking it's on the back of the engine . A main seal is not that hard to fix . Especially on those small blocks .

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

I know it's not the sending unit, cuz I just replaced it. I checked it quite often to make sure. My truck was leaking before that anyway.

7. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

87 has the one piece rear main seal which repuries tranny removal to fix.
    Older 2 piece seals could be done just removing the oil pan but they were less reliable.

Also make sure it is oil and not lubercant from the tranny.
    Which level is dropping.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Dripping OIL? WAIT ON THE REAR MAIN TILL YOU READ

Guy have you learned nothing from me? Come on guys think about this here. It's getting on the DRIVE SHAFT he said and thats to the side of the motor. If it was the rear main it would all be comming out of the bellhousing and streaming down the the tranny. Before you lay out the cash to have a rear main done check for oil on the back of the head. It may be something as simple as a leaking valve cover gasket. It can leak down the back of the head and depending on the way your truck was built be transfering to the plug wires and dripping all sorts of places. Be an afternoon job for under $20.
    As for the new engine. How about a GM Crate with 50k warranty that probabley has more HP that your stock did for around $1200 plus installation. I have one in my 79 and it's a great running engine. I am very happy with it. When the time comes for my 75 it will get one of these also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

9. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Could be leaking from the back of the intake manifold. Could also be coming from the distibutor if the seal is bad.

10. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

Had the two center intake bolts not sealed to the heads on mine, oil ran back intake, down back of engine and all over driveshaft and everything. follow the leak up as far as it goes, get an inspection mirror and look at the back of your engine. Trust me, the mirror will open up a whole other worl back there.

Tuck