Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drippity drip drip - carb leak on my '77

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jonny290, Aug 17, 2006.

1. jonny290

jonny290 Registered Member

Ahh, my first CK5 support thread :P

Vehicle - 1977 K5 Blazer
    Engine: 350 SBC, stock-ish (may not be original but it's not rodded or anything)
    Carb: Holley 4-barrel, vacuum secondary, bimetallic choke

I just got this Blazer Thursday from my dad. He said that it ran perfect with no issues, and I trust him - he knows his cars. My brother drove it from 2000-2003, and he wouldn't have let him touch it with a fuel leak. The vehicle has been sitting in storage for two years, and my father has dutifully changed the oil every four months and started it up every month during this entire time period.

Today on my lunch break, I drove home and started the Blazer up to move it about 10 feet so my girl could park in front of the house. It's been sitting at an approximate 5-10 degree angle (tilting down towards passenger side) for the past 24 hours. I might have been a little heavy on the gas, I started it and almost immediately moved it, then cut it off. Running time like 10 seconds or so.

On the way out the door, about 45 minutes later, I decided to pop the hood to get the ID number for a squeaky belt. I noticed a gas smell, and noticed that the passenger side of the manifold was damp. I pulled the air filter, and sure as heck, it seems as though I was leaking a bit of fuel onto the manifold. There was no pooling, and most of the 'wetness' seemed confined to the carb itself, meaning that you wouldn't soak a rag when wiping the manifold but it was still kinda damp. I monitored it for five minutes, and counted about 45 to 60 seconds between drips (small drops).

My questions are:

1: Could this be a function of having it parked off-vertical for a significant period of time?
    2: Could this be a function of starting it, moving it and immediately killing it a few seconds later?
    3: Perhaps a combination of both?

I'm going to watch it all evening and see if it dries up some. If it does, that would lean towards me just over-gassing it when I moved it earlier today. I'm in kind of a bind, though, because I have to start it to move it on to flatter ground, and I don't want to burn my new truck to the ground. :(

Insight? Should I just plan on not driving it till I can rebuild the carb or buy a new one? If so, any recommendations for a mild performance 4-barrel that is still reasonable on the fuel economy? It's not a ridiculous offroad ride but I do want to get good benefit from the 350.

Somebody on another board suggested stuck floats, and recommended that I blast the tar outta the carb with carb cleaner to loosen them up. Should I hit the floats through a screw somewhere? What's the best angle on this idea?

Apologies for the noobish carb questions, I'm quite familiar with fuel injection rides, but this is my first carbureted ride since I was 16, and that one didn't count. I'd rather not burn it to the ground because I was stupid or ignorant.

Pics as soon as I find a camera!

2. jonny290

To the top one time for the night, before I crash out :)

Other forums are suggesting stuck floats, and recommended I pull the carb, take off the bowls and hit 'em hard with cleaner. I think that's the plan.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Where exactly is the drip coming from, a pinpoint location. Doesn't sound like a major problem. If the floats were stuck it would run like crap if it ran at all.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the floats are stuck then it would also be dripping down into the engine too. Which will eventually get gas down into the pistons and past the ring and into the oil. I'd get your Blazer off that incline quickly to prevent any more spill over. If it doesn't start right away put the gas to the floor to open up the throttle plates blow all the leaking gas out of the engine.

5. jonny290

Just went out and inspected it - the side of the carb is dry, and the only dampness on the manifold is the oil/grime that was there in the first place. My battery is unfortunately dead, but I'll hack at that in the morning.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Start it up on flat ground and watch. Without some sort of problem, you shouldn't see gas anywhere near the outside of the carb.

7. jonny290

I believe i'm A-OK, starts up and runs fine with no more fuel drippage woes. I tapped on the sides of the carb gently with a heavy screwdriver to kinda knock stuff loose.

Just as an aside, evidently a mint '77 K5 assesses at $17,000 in Arkansas. I had no idea they were worth that much. (The assessor liked mine so much she graded it next to the lowest grade, which was STILL $2800.)