Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drippy 241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

My 241 likes to drip out of the tail seal ive already replaced it twice with no luck of stopping the drip now im wondering what else i can do short of rebuilding the case. The drive shaft is smooth where the seal rides and dosent seem to have any play in the case. Im wondering if maybe a different oil should be used? currently i run quakerstate atf.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. George_Pimpdaddy

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's the tail seal and not the seal between the tailhousing and back half of the case? I replaced my shaft seal and kept having the leak problem. I pulled the tailhousing off and found the seal was cracked. Replaced it and have been leak free - at least for a while.

I think 241's are supposed to leak so we don't have to change the fluid :-)

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine is doing the same thing, I got a ready sleeve to put on the rear output because the last time I had it off I noticed some scaring on the inside of the little tail housing. I also discovered my TC input seal is leaking allowing Trans fluid to seap in and over fill it.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bushing...

I've had similar troubles with tailshafts on 2wd tranny's--replacing the seal didn't help..--the yoke had no grooves in it,---in my case it was because the bushing the driveshaft yoke rides on in the tailshaft was a bit sloppy--that lets the yoke wobble, and tear up the new seal rapidly...replacing the bushing and another new seal solved the leaking problems..

I was getting vibrations at high speeds until I replaced the bushing too--it was MUCH smoother after the bushing was replaced..it was a bit of a chore getting the old bushing out and the new one in without damaging it,but it was well worth the effort..not that costly either..Bower/BCA sold both the seal and bushing as a kit back when I fixed mine.:crazy:

6. George_Pimpdaddy

7. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem.many times. now i get vibration, so i'm sick of it, pulling the case and going to a 205.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check the housing for the rear slipyoke. I have seen more thanone get a crack in the top of the housing that holds the sensor/speedocable. If it is cracked, start hunting junkyards, that piece is discontinued form Chevy.

9. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

SYE.:D No vibes, no leaks.