Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive door sag ***UPDATE***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Feb 7, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well I took a good look at the door today,and I think I know what the problem is. I first checked to see if there was any play in the pins or bushing's,by lifting on the door in a up and down motion. Found nothing,the whole truck would rock back and forth. Next I supported the door with a jack and a stack of wood. Then losend the bolts that connect the door to the bracket's. I attempted to try and align the door,but had no luck [​IMG]. I them sat there a bit and noticed that the door skin weld is kinda rusty,and had seperated from the door itself. If you rock the door up and down you can see the crease open up,then close. My question is is there a fix for this,like take the door off find someone with a welder,and then weld the crease up again. Or do find a new or old door and replace it? The edge of the door is rubbing agianst the fender,and causing some paint to rub off the edge of the door...So what should I do?

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

2. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Are your rockers rusted out? I had a K10 that the rockers were rusted out os bad the door opening grew. It had a lot of the same symptoms that you have.
    I hope that is not your problem as I tried a new door and that did not fix it. I ended up swapping cabs.
    If the door has a lot of rust welding it will only be temporary.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Nope no rust...

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

My drivers door is "exactly" the same as yours. It is cracked right below the top hing and the entire door sags pretty low. I picked a couple of new doors and sanded and primed them last weekend. I think this is the only real solution to the problem. I do have another spare door that's in great shape if you are interisted...I need to get it out of my garage in the near future anyways.

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.