Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Flange ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyrc, Aug 2, 2004.

1. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

It apears that drive flanges would be stronger than locking hubs, but what are some of the disadvantages. And how do the WARN ones compare with the poly etc. I'm running a lockright in the front diff, but even with the hubs locked if the truck is in two wheel drive, it should have no effect on steering. I plan to upgrade to 35 slpine axles in the near future and I'm trying to plan it out. Hubs or flanges. The truck rarely spends time on the road, other than getting to the trail.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think a locker and flanges would be extremely hard on things on pavement, even with limited use. I wouldn't do it unless it was a truggy.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With drive flanges the axles turn all the time even with the T-case in 2wd although there is no power going to the front alxe, with lock-outs the axles only turn when the lock-outs are locked. Drive flanges are stronger but you have a slight amount of wear on the spindle bearing and seals.