Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive flanges, locker and asphalt, how good will they mix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Nov 12, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

The title says it. How will drive flanges and either a detroit or a lock right do on the road? I drive my truck on the road alot, but I will be running 44's and I want it to be stout.

What will be the negative effects? decreased turning radius, increased tire wear? what else?

Trey

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If there is no torque input the Detroit will not lock so, as long as the front case output is not engaged, there should be no real effect as long as the locker is in good working order (i.e. it unlocks). Of course, drive flanges are going to keep the carrier and drive shaft spinning all the time but that’s not a huge deal normally, just increase service intervals.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and reduce mileage but if your going to flanges you likely aren't worrying about mileage.

4. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I second what BadDog said I am currently running this setup and no feedback from the locker until you engage the transfercase.As far as being stout that depnds on driving style or lack of in my case.The combination of a 454 , 44's and a heavy right foot tend to break parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why not run hubs? I know that they're not as strong, but they take the weak link away from the axle shafts, carrier, and ring gear and they'll save your front driveline from wearing out on the road.

6. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not run hubs? I know that they're not as strong, but they take the weak link away from the axle shafts, carrier, and ring gear and they'll save your front driveline from wearing out on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, they save wear. But I don't agree with the "weak link" theory, though I've heard from many that do. Problem is, when you bound up pulling hard and need it the most, if one side lets go, the recoil shock will run through the drive train and often take out other pieces including expensive lockers. All that torque has to go somewhere and the remaining side sees an unbalanced load of well over double what it was before the break. That load continues till you overcome inertia (big massive tires) and friction to spin the tire, you let out of the gas, OR you break the other side so the torque can bleed off… I would rather not break at all. That way I avoid not only the recoil damage (which is far too common) and the hassle of trail side fixes…

7. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. It looks like I will be going with flanges.

Trey

8. FWP

FWP CRS

I kinda like the idea of being able to unlock the hub when the shaft/ ujoint goes. Drive the rest of the trail or go home in 3 wheel drive (Assuming the shaft ears aren't so messed up as to hit the knuckles). Of course you can always pull the shaft out and accomplish the same thing, with slugs or lockouts.

9. BadDog

I can have the slug out very quickly in mine, probably less than 5 minutes once the tools are out, then put the cap back on to keep it clean. Shouldn't be much of a problem unless breaking becomes a common thing, but then you have bigger problems anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've felt a little feedback from a lockright in a front end with the hubs locked but in 2wd.
    Beck reports problems under hard braking and cornering but this is mostly on dirt, we're not sure how the asphalt performance would be. Probably similar to the lockright in our 2wd toyota, GRUMPY. If you turn smoothly and without power fluctuations, you're OK but otherwise it bucks around. Obviously with no power available from the disconnected driveshaft, that's not a concern but the thing still has to lock and unlock when you corner.

Don't know anything about a detroit in that situation.

11. BadDog

Hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Without the torque input of the drive shaft, the springs should hold the locker perpetually open with the dog gears not engaged. It takes input torque to overcome the springs.

Even before the slugs, I rarely unlocked my hubs and noticed no problems when on the road. Not that I spend much time there but there are some longish dirt roads to many of the trails from the trailer parking area. Not enough time on the Detroit to say anything yet.

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

How much did the slugs run you?

13. BadDog

I just happen to have that receipt out... $205

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I haven't noticed my Lockright in 2WD w/hubs locked. I guess maybe I am too busy using my right foot to steer on dirt roads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. BadDog

Have you priced slugs? For what it is, the price is ridiculous, but that or higher is the going rate (or at least it was at the time)...

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ployperformance wants more like $250 right now I think.