Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive flanges?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Nov 12, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have been seeing people talk (or mention) drive flanges but nobody really explains what the purpose is.I did a search and couldn't find a good explaination.Other than strength what is the purpose?Is it the same as what comes on a stock full-time 4x4?Can you use it with a part-time case?What about a daily driver?Any problems associated with it(ie,lockers)?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you hit the nail on the head. A good set of flanges is always stronger than a good set of hubs. They are usually cheaper too...

No, because you can put it in 2wd with the t-case.

yep.

Personally, if I had them on a DD I'd pull the pucks unless I was going to go into 4wd. Shouldn't cause any problems for your locker.

j

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

they are like lockouts that are locked in all the time. if you ran them on a DD your front axleshafts, diff, d-shaft, and t-case output would spin. i have heard of some people running them with a balanced front driveshaft and not having any problems.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I ran them in my K5 and didnt have any problems with 42's front detroit, and hydro assist. It wasnt for the faint of heart though.

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Iv got them too and as long as your axles and u-joints will hold up they are great. never worry about a broken hub again.