Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive gear bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chili 87 K5, Sep 3, 2000.

1. Chili 87 K5

Chili 87 K5 Registered Member

So, my 350 is hanging from the cherry picker, and I need to mount it on the stand, but I can't get the darned drive gear bolts off! It's really a bear, because the engine swings while I'm trying to break the bolts loose (spooky), and then the crank wants to spin. I've tried bracing against the torque by counter-wrenching another one of the bolts, but it's too hard to apply reliable force, and I don't want to cause damage to either the engine or my pal's picker. Then I tried lowering the engine until the gear bit into a wooden sawhorse (too unstable), and I even tried locking the gear up by passing a chain through the gear holes and binding it to the picker's wheelbase. No dice.

I think I need a new crankshaft anyhow, so I may try to "rig" the engine stand mount to allow me to leave the gear on while it's mounted, and then I can pull the crank and the gear as a unit later...

Or are these buggers reverse-threaded???

Any suggestions?

Thanks, all!

Brian 'Chili' G.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you are talking about the bolt that holds the crank pulley and harmonic balancer on, then you will need air tools! These will spins the bolt without spinning the crank!

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Kinda sounds like he's talking about the flex-plate (flywheel). If this is the flex-plate atatched to the broken crank in the other post, I'd just trhow it out with the crank. These are cheap anyway and time is money. Move on to the next thing. IF you really want to save it and can't break it loose by any means. I've cut through all six bolts with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel in 20 minutes... Last resort [​IMG]

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607