Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive gear replacement (speedo)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Jan 29, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

can someone point me to a reference for removing my drive "speedo" gear. my shop manual does not talk about the removal of the tail end of the transfer case. all the information that i found on line talks about 2 wheel drives with the drive gear installed in the tail shaft of the transmission. again, i am looking for some type of reference that will walk me through the removal of the drive gear. thanks...

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Remove your speedometer cable and driven gear out of the tailshaft. Then remove the tailshaft housing, and the gear should slide right off of the tailshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

rick, i see the bolts that hold on the xfer case tail shaft housing - looks easy. i was not sure if a buch of crap was going to fall out once i removed the cover. will i need any type of seal puller or is it just a gasket? thanks...

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I just used black RTV sealant on mine and it held up fine. The only piece that's a pain in the ass is the black disc that goes between the tailshaft and main housing. It has to be lined up right before you can bolt it back up. It only goes one way, but it doesn't like to stay put when putting the tailshaft back up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's something that likes to slide off during assembly, vaseline or automatic tranny assembly "grease" (I've seen it used at tranny shops, but no idea what its called) might make the job a bit easier.