Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Line Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

Who runs driveline brakes , are they legal , how much and are they easy to install?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you mean by driveline brakes? If you mean a rear output mounted e-brake, don't run one but it is legal and they work well.

If you mean pinion brakes, you can't run them on a normal axle. The rotor would be a few inches off of the ground sitting on level pavement.

Problems with both driveline e-brake and pinion brakes, if an axleshaft, driveshaft(not an issue with pinion brakes) or something else down the line fails, you have no braking. Also you have to deal with all the slop of the driveline. Any slop in the driveshaft, backlash of the ring and pinion, play in axleshafts, all that will effect it.

Eventually I plan to put a tcase e-brake on my S10, just not at the moment.

Oh and I know in the state of Pennsylvania these systems are legal. Parking brakes have to be a seperate system from service brakes, and there is no specification for mounting point of either service or parking brake, just a requirement of performance, which is easy to meet.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I am going to be running one from tom woods. It will take some fab work to get it to work but its alot better priced then some of the other kits around.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

2wd SM420 trannies came with a output yoke e-brake, they have to be legal. I wish I'd kept mine.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

This is all true, most states require that the parking brake be a seperate system. They don't specify where that system is. When they inspect all they do is set it and make sure it holds on an incline.

My tcase brake works better than the regular brakes. It has 5.38 times the stoping power :D As far as a broken driveshaft, I thought of that but when on the trail is doesn't matter as long as you don't brake both shafts. Now if I ever grenade the 205 and rear shaft simultaniously I guess that would require some wheel cholks :haha: