Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive line probelm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91jimmy, Nov 3, 2003.

1. 91jimmy

91jimmy Registered Member

Hey: folks I have a problem with my 91 Jimmy… I shifted the truck from 2H to 4H at about 10 mph I felt the 4WD kick in then all of sudden it felt like the truck went into neutral. Now the truck was working fine before I was just coming home from work which is about 175 miles round trip. Now the truck will move only about 5 mph at 4000 rpm or higher in any gear in 2H, 4H, and 4L it’s a little faster in 4L because of the taller gear I guess. Now if the truck is in drive I can push it backwards with me foot and vice versa if it’s in reverse the fluid is clean and full all linkage in tack and not binding. Please help my wife is going to kill me if I have to dump money in this truck which I just bought 1 month ago it’s a 91 Jimmy 5.7L automatic with auto hubs, and 133000 miles.

2. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well, i kind of had the same problem just recently.. i have an 82K5, well coming home from camping last weekend, the truck wouldnt shift out of 1st gear, since my rig is diesel it goes about 13mph in 1st.. really slow, i was like wtf! so finally just fixed it today, i pulled the tranny cover off, seems like the kick down linkage cable has a little spring lever on it, that pushes this cylinder or piston thing in and out, it had slipped off and it causes it not to move.. so i re-adjusted it and BLAM! it works great! is your truck leaking tranny fluid at all?? well maybe check that out?
    -Juice

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you have auto hubs? i didnt think you could shift these trucks on the fly like that..

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you have auto hubs? i didnt think you could shift these trucks on the fly like that..

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, on the newer model K5's like the one he has and my 87, you can shift on the fly anywhere between like 1 and 35 mph.
    -Harrison

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If you have auto hubs you can....I shift in and out of 4Hi all the time when Im on the move..can only go but so fast though, I think Ive done mine at like 15 or 20 mph.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On the 208's and 241's you can shift from 2hi to 4hi moving up to 30MPH, ANYWAY back to helping the guy out everyone. Sounds like it's stuck in nuetral or something. Can you shift the transfer case back to 2hi? have you played with the shifter a little maybe it slipped into N? Maybe your tranny linkage broke or something. Not trying to be mean or sexest here or anything but your wife killing you... who is she to tell you what you can and can't spend money on. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif( sorry, I just hate it when women try to tell you what you can and can't do /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) IF it isn't driveable than it has to be fixed.