Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive line problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LAZYMON, Aug 29, 2005.

1. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The front u-joint on my rear drive shaft has busted twice in the last year. Once off road and the last time on road. It just happened the other day so I drove home in front wheel drive. I have noise comming from the front end or transfer case. Driving along the truck would go clunk and disengage momentum. I would let up on the gas and it would reingage and then it would disingage again. This seems to be getting worse and worse. Could my locking hubs be going bad, my front end or my transfer case. It shifts in and out of 4 wheel drive without problems. 73 with a NP203. 4 inch lift.

2. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Update

Since the rear shaft is out I put the front end on jackstands and let it run. The noise does not appear to be from the transfer case. If fact I can't really get it to make noise at all. A little noise from the hubs. It all works well without a load on it. I pulled the front dif cover off and all looks good in there. I pulled one of the hubs and it looks fully functional. Thinking the hubs. What goes bad on these?