Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive line ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batchman, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

Drive line ?\'s

Ok this is in an update on I'm a freaking idiot. The salvage yard guy showed me how to take the slip yoke off and turns that is all I had to replace. Still have the same drive shafts only changed the middle yoke. Now went back together with it new u-joints, new tranny, rear tranny bushing, rear tranny seal, and tranny mount. now I have a terrible vibration at 35 to 45mph only.
    It happens on acceleration and decceleration, both in 3rd and OD, it even does it when I put it in neutral.

The question is if I have the drive shaft balanced don't they just balance the shafts? The only thing I changed is the yoke.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Drive line ?\'s

Sounds like you have the same problem as me, everyone said it was my U-joints, but turns out I had a "dent" in my driveshaft..... it's still there, and I still have the nasty noise/vibration...

not sure about balancing it... just going to replace mine...maybe next year, now that I know what the noise is

Brandy

3. Batchman

does yours only vibrate at certain speeds?

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

normaly if you can power threw it then it normaly is a drive shave vib...have it ballanced and see what happens...after that check your angles

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

is that new yoke in phase or clocked correctly?

6. Batchman

what does clocked mean?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do you have the yokes lined up perfectly or are they off by a spline?
    there is only 1 (could be called 2 I guess) correct way for the yoke to be installed
    if you got it off by a bit it could vibrate

8. Batchman

Now please tell me how to do that I saw a place were it had like two rows taken out on the yoke but I did not see anything on the other side to match up to that.

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The slip yoke is a splined shaft, if you haven't lined up both ends of the d-line so that all of the u-joints line up perfectly, then it will vibrate. If the vibration is caused by a dent and you don't want to balance it then fill it with anti-freeze /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . I know it sounds stupid but it works. Drill a hole in the d-line and pour the anti-freeze in then weld it up. Do this only if it is obviously dented or missing balance weights.

10. Batchman

How do i make sure that is not off by a spline or two? Also do you fill it all the way up with antifreeze?

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Brandy, as a temporary fix for small dents you can use large hose clamps as balancing weights. Put a couple on the shaft together, make index marks around the shaft and slowly rotate the screw end of the clamp around, taking test drives in between untill the vibe disapears. Its a good short term solution if your talking about waiting a year with a small driveshaft dent.

12. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Make sure the u-joints line up. Pull the whole drivleine off and make sure the u-joint caps are in line with each other at bothe ends of the driveline.
    The anti-freeze trick is just to get you home frome teh back country, your u-joints won't take the added weight for too long. But yeah, all the way full, no air.