Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Line Unmarked When Taken Out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd78/87, May 14, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Ok,,, If someone was saaaaaaaay..... putting new springs all the way around a while back, and didn't mark the drive line relationship to the yolk,,, and lets just say he probably didn't put it back in the way it came out which is probably causing a vibration,,, how would one go about finding the right line up? Trial and error? Would you rotate it one dang spline at a time? Or is it not that sensitive? Sart with about 1/4 turns?

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

"Phasing" your rear driveshaft. From what confusing material is in my manual, it looks like the u-joint yoke trunnions on the drive shaft itself should be lined up directly with one another. BTW, that's how it is on my '73K5 w/4" lift and I've had no problems.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I think I get the picture,, I'll check it out.. Thanks.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

When the driveshaft is laying on the ground the trunions that are attached to the shaft on opposite ends should be 90 degrees from each other.Brady

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think they're supposed to be in line with each other.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

OK, so you buy a new shaft and install it, how do you install it the same as the old one??? I've had mine out a dozen times and it doesn't matter how the splines mate up with the t-case. The phasing of u-joints is like one of the others said; the u-joints are at exactly 90 degrees to each other so that they speed up and slow down at exactly the opposite times to cancel vibrations. Unless you cut the yokes off the tube of the driveshaft, you can't take them out of phase by just taking the shaft out of the Blazer.

Good Luck
    Brian

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

It depends what kind of driveshaft you have. The newer slip yoke driveshafts that mate to a 208 t-case you cant mess up. They are permanantly attached to each other (welded) and should be lined up from the factory. The older style (for a 205 t-case) have the slip yoke in the center of the shaft. These can come apart, and these are the ones you have to worry about lining them up properly when you put them back together. If you dont have the slip yoke apart, you cant mess them up. Maybe you should look at your angles of the pinion to the t-case. These will cause a vibe if they arent close to the same angle. Or maybe you have a u-joint going? Unless you had the driveshaft lengthened or otherwise taken in half, Id look elsewhere.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

My apologies - Thumper is right. I was just thinking of newer style shafts!! If it's a two piece with the splines midshaft, then you do have to be careful with the re-assembly if it comes apart.

Sorry for the oversight

Brian

9. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I have a 203 and what I'm assuming is a slip yolk cuz it does come apart in the middle. I didn't take off my drive shaft at first,, but then I noticed that having the frame on jack stands and letting the axle down to do the springs,, the axle came apart at the splines... so I took it all the way out from the rear. So,, with that info. should the u joints be lined up the same or 90 deg out? Also Thumper,,, speaking of angles.... my springs did not come with shims and the rear angle looks a lot better than the front to xfer case angle. If I put shims in the rear,, granted both angles would decrease,, but the front would still be significantly more. Any thoughts???

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

90 deg. out is where the yokes need to go.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

11. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Ok,, I just went down and they were about 5 splines away from being in the same posistion,, so I undid the front short piece, turned it so they were 90 apart, and went around the block. HOLY COW!!!!! It's a LOT WORSE!!
    Gonna go put turn it another 90 deg so they are equal.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Huh...Well I apologize for the bum scoop. I thought I knew it was 90 out. Maybe I should call it quits for the night...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

13. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Hey it's amazing what you can learn in the Manual.... it said to line the front and the rear up then rotate the rear part 4 splines to the left. Well,, I had the front off only, so I rotated it 4 splines to the right. It's better,, but still a little shake. Guess we all learned something today.[​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the manual I read, only problem was that it appeared to be talking about driveshafts with a carrier bearing and did not address the two piece shafts in question. From the drawings in looked like the two piece shafts were lined up and from one side of the carrier bearing to the other was 90 degrees off. I hope you got it where it works best, but I'm still not positive how it should be. All I do know is that mine are lined up together and they haven't given me any problems.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

15. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Heck,, I don't know either,, I've got it down pretty easy now,, I might try lining them up tomorrow.
    Thanks All

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

16. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Just went and looked at my wife's sub with 203 and no carrier bearing and the yolks are lined up.never had this shaft apart.I guess I was wrong.I swear they should be 90 out.MY blazers is.I am going to find out witch it should be.Brady

17. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Just did a axle swap.The yokes on mine where about 3 splines from being lined up.I also though they where supposed to be 90 degrees So i changed it.Thing vibrates like mad.Going too put it back the way it was.O well live and learn.

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya, they should line up exactly. When you lay the shaft on the ground, the yokes should sit flat on the ground the same way. Id put them in lined up and give it a shot. Also, about the pinion angles, I lifted my truck and got a great angle (so I thought), almost straight in, at the rear diff, but the t-case end was angled.I had a brutal vibe and had to reevaluate. I ended up shimming the rear pinion back down, to increase that angle to near the angle at the top. That will stop all vibes. On a full size truck, they can get away with having the rear angle straight and the pinion angled due to the length of the shaft. Not on a Blazer...

Good Luck
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

19. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Just an update,, I stoped by a 4x lift and accessory place today to see if they could put the right shims in to line everything up right. He told me they couldn't do it,, all they did was install kits. He could sell me the shims if I knew what angle I needed. I was like,, Whatever, Man. See Ya. So I call up Tuff Country to ask them about the shims,, he recomended I drop the xfer case. I told him I would rather not due to tilting everything back on the motor mounts and didn't want the undo stress. He gave me the name and number of one of his head techs. So I call him and run through the senario and posible options. He also recomended dropping the xfer case. I again voiced my concerns and he assured me there is no undo stress on the motor mounts. So I came home, dropped the xfer case, went for a drive and it rides a lot better now.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

20. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey todd glad to hear your beast is running better, one question was it hard to drop the case, that's what I need to do on mine I also get vibrations.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!