Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Line?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, May 3, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, excuse me on the terms here, b/c I get these names mixed up.
    Ok, when I'm not in 4WD, I have my hubs unlocked and my transfercase in 2HI or even in Neutral(it doesn't really matter it seems). Anyways, I noticed that the front "drive shaft" still rotates even when I'm only in 2wd.(drive shaft being the part that is connect from the transfer case to the rear of the pumpkin in front right?) Now, since that is rotating it causes the front axle to spin also. But it is not engaging my front tires, b/c the transfercase is not in 4WD and/or my hubs aren't locked. This is probably the main reason I get poor gas mileage. I heard that it could be a transfer case problem, that it is making the front drive shaft staying engaged to the rear drive shaft. Not 100%. What do you guys think? I want to hear from yall before I drop hundreds of dollars into this problem to a pro.
    oh, NP205 transfercase
    Warn Hubs
    TH350 trans
    Dana 44 front
    12bolt rear
    Boss

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll take a stab at this. It either sounds like a problem inside the 'case (rebuild time) or one of the hubs isn't unlocking.

I'm a little confused though, if you were to lock the hubs in and put it in nuetral, can you drive? You said
    "...transfercase in 2HI or even in Neutral(it doesn't really matter it seems). Anyways, I noticed that the front "drive shaft" still rotates...
    This sounds like a 'case prob.

Prob. not much help, but figured I throw my hat in the ring anyway.

Kyle
    89K5

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

don't freat. do a search, a week or two ago there was a post just like this. there was alot of good info.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

That was my post, my front shaft rotates when I'm driving in 2wd but it doesn't rotate at the same speed as the rear one, my case is a 203 and alot of guys told me that it is supposed to rotate as long as it doesn't rotate at the same speed, one of the guys that responded had a 205 also and his rotated just like mine, so I'm thinking that you dont have a problem I thought I had a problem but from what the guys said everything looks fine, as far as the gas milage mine does about 8mpg with 33" tires and 4" lift that has some affect to the milage also, I hope I helped a little bit some body should know more than me they'll tell you good luck.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

That seems to be common with the NP203 and NP205 transfer cases. Since the gears are moving in oil, the oil gets to moving also. This makes the front output gear move some as well, although without much force and not much speed. If you think or know that it is moving at the same speed as your rear output when in 4x2, then I would say you have a problem. Otherwise, it's normal.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

6. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

well ive got a 203 case converted to pt and my shaft doesnt spin when im in 2wd. sounds like a tcase problem, if you are concerned about the gas mileage though, you could always drop the front shaft until you are ready to fix the problem.

7. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

That's weird MTPockets, I have a 203 with a part time also but mine does spin, I dont know why your's doesn't but I guess it's normal.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

grab the drive shaft when the truck is stoped and see if you can turn it if yes than it just the oil and gear drag making it spin. If you can't turn it jack up both front tires off the ground at the same time no try and turn it, if it you can but one or both tires turn to check the hubs, All so try and turn each tire on it own. Ther are a lot of thing that could go wroung here that could be turning the drive shaft.

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

To me it seems that the front drive shaft spins at the same speed as the rear. I really can't tell, but it definately spins and not just lazily spinning around, it spins. Also, Blazer72, I went underneath the truck and I tried and rotate the front drive shaft and I did w/o no problems. It gave me no resistance. this is a good thing???
    Boss

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you can easily spin the front driveshaft by hand, then that means it is not "connected" to anything in the transfer case (which means that the transfer case is disengaging the front drive when in 2wd like it should).

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

One lat check here then you can go on and not worry see if you can turn both the right and left outer u-joints on the front axel if you can then both hubs are working, now lock both and try turning the joint one last time this time they should not trun now unlock the hubs, Since the drive shaft turns freely you know the t-case is in 2 wheel. The very last thing to now check is to place the t-case in to 4h the drive shat should not turn now when you grab it.
    If all the above check OK then your t-case is working the only thing not check at this point is low range.

12. 76K5WakeBoarder

76K5WakeBoarder Newbie

Hey I hate to be the "MOTO" (Master Of The Obvious) but if the driveshaft is spinning at the same rate it seems to be still engaged in the Transfer Case. Do you know how to disengage the 4WD by backing up? Just driving through some sand mine gets pretty "LOCKED UP". It takes me a couple of tries to disengage the T-Case. Again I'm sorry that I wasted time for the obvious but it never hurts.
    Late,
    Randy
    76 K5
    Albuquerque

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have an NP208 and my front driveshaft spins when my hubs are unlocked and my t-case is in 2WD. I parked on a hill one day and left it in drive. I got out and crawl under it and tried spinning my driveshaft to see if anything was engaged. It spun freely. I think it just spins from the momentum of the Blazer and drivetrain. Nothing is making it spin other than that.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club