Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft and rearend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bull4odawg, Feb 19, 2006.

1. bull4odawg

bull4odawg Registered Member

hi, everyone i have a 1978 silverado i need help troubleshooting a problem. when i put it in gear holding the brake the driveshaft still turns; therefore creating a loud grinding noise. what could be my problem ? any suggestion would helpful.:confused:

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

does it operate normally otherwise? runs and drives fine? seems like a rearend issue to me...

3. bull4odawg

no, it doesn't drive at all. opened the cover nothing out of the ordinary;pin, spider gears, and no metal shaving in pan.turn every thing manually w/driveshaft unhooked and no noise. what you think

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

is there any inclination that it wants to move while holding the brakes? is it an open diff? what rear end? we need all the details here if'n ya want us to help.

my guess is that it's either stripped splines on the pinion or a busted axle shaft.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah give us some more details and hopefully we can narrow it down...could be gov lok problem if its not an open rear...

6. bull4odawg

thanks, i see no movement of the wheels.when i turn one wheel the other turns opposite likes it suppose to.don't know if it's open rear end. it's a 12 bolt. what stops the drive shaft from turning; shouldn't it stop turning when the brake is applied?how can i determine any more info to give;numbers on the rear end?

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    You have an open rear end if one wheel spins opposite direction. If it had a locker that was actuating they would both spin the same direction.

If it is 4 wheel drive engage front axle and see if it will move that way. That will at least let you know if you have power coming out of the front yoke on transfer case.

Next I would drop your rear driveshaft, Start the vehicle and put it in gear with e brake set and front axle in neutral, get out and see if rear yoke on T-case is spinning, have somebody rev engine and see if speed changes. This will tell you if you have normal power out of rear yoke of transfer case.

shut truck off and put rear on jack stands and spin each of the rear tires and see if yoke on rear pinion moves or spin pinion and see if wheel moves. Doing these things will at least let you know if it is in rear end or T-case. My money is on the rear end.

8. bull4odawg

Thanks,chevymen;Here's where we are at now i took the driveshaft loose and spin the yoke only the left wheel moved.;removed the cover and everything turning except right axle gear (pinion,ring gear,spider gears and left axle gear)are we close yet? any input is greatly appreciated!

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Set the parking brake, remove the rear driveshaft and spin the pinion yoke by hand. Use a prybar for leverage if needed.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

not true you have to "activate" a gov lock it will look open if you just spin one tire slowly. jack up the rear end and spin one tire as fast as you can and it should get both to spinn forward if its a gov lock

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

perhaps the brake is sticking on one side not allowing one side to turn? Just a suggestion. but did this happen last time you drove it or just happened when you tried driving it?

12. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

hummmmm

this could be a strang one... but i think that if you already have the rear shaft off. put on jackstands than set e-brake. than with the cover off, spin the yoke and see what trys to spin and what doesnt. but it sounds to me like the pass side shaft blew.... only if its an open diff...

LUKE

13. bull4odawg

Hey guys, kinda of confused ,i turn the yoke and everything inside turns except the right axle gear(worn splines on axle shaft maybe) I turned the right wheel and same results.Oh yeah, parking brake doesn't work.Anymore suggestions?

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Is there any side to side movement on the yoke? :dunno: Your pinion bearing could have gone. When there's a load the pinion gear could be moving over enough to it's not engaging the ring gear. But with no load it might be catching enough to turn the carrier. :D

Rick

15. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Remove the carrier pin and the "C" clip and pull the pass. axle and inspect. You will be able to quickly see if the axle is broken or if the splines are stripped. At that time, you can also inspect the spiders etc.

16. bull4odawg

Hi, BOSS CHEVYMEN;it's me again here's the update1. pulled both axles 2.checked spider gears 3.checked for slack in pinion bearing 4.looked at ring gear and pinion teeth. 5. checked splines and gears on end of them Everything checked out as visually correct; never moved the carrier,but did feel resistance in right wheel when turning it.the resistance disappeared after removal of brake drum. are there any other options or should i purchase a used one from salvage yard?

17. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your brakes were dragging. I would adjust your brake shoes in a little if they are not too worn. Check your brake drum for grooves and heat stress marks. If it is in pretty bad shape I've got a couple for sale HERE or you can get new ones for about $30 or $40 at the parts store.
    I would also check your brake shoes and hardware out really well. If it looks bad I would replace those too.

Rick

18. bull4odawg

THanks a lot men the drum did have grooves on the passenger side ;going to replace the brakes and u-joints see if i still hear the sound.i'll get back with everyone on the results.LONG

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just wanted to brag that I was first to think of the brakes.:pimp:

20. gmcman355

gmcman355 Registered Member

dont think brakes is your problem. if drive shaft is spinning and the truck aint moving problem is in rear end. check the pinion shaft splines but make sure if there is no problem there to correctly set the pinion bearing preload so as not to create a problem