Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft angle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Nov 1, 2000.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" lift on my 88. The angle from the transfer case to my rear shaft is too much. I have already dropped my transfer case about 1/4 inch. Would it be safe to drop it anymore? Also i was told to shim my rear end. Has anybody had any similar troubles, what did you do to fix them?

thanks again!!!!! everybody

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Chevy already gave you the spacers to drop the transfer case. They are on between the frame and the nut on the bolt that holds up the crossmember. Just take it and put it inbetween the frame and the crossmember and it should amount to an 1". I think most of us have done this that have lifts. I have 6.5" and have no vibrations. - Doug

Doug Krebs

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I'll second what Krebs said. I put a 4" lift on my '90 Jimmy and had a vibration at about 70. I had the dirve shafts lengthened, they had to be regardless of the vibration. Dropping the t-case is all it took to make the vibration go away. Runs great now.

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Dosent dropping the t-case cause problems with the front driveshaft angle? Or does it matter?

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Shum,

I was hoping someone that knew more about this than I do would reply. I wondered the same thing when I lowered my t'case, but concluded that when you lower the t'case, you are changing the angle on the side that has the cv joint which can probably take a little greater angle than the normal u-joints. If I am wrong about this I also would like to know the correct answer.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I think it does change the angle on the front DS, however, when you are using the front your in 4h or 4L and are probably not going to be going fast enough to get any vibrations. But you may start wearing out the U-joints a little faster. I would lower it and be done with it.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

the right way to fix this problem is to get a 2.5 degree shim and put it under the rear spring pack!!!!this will raise the pinion angle to the proper heigth..it is a little more involved but it takes away the vibration or at least it makes it less noticable.. if this doesn't work, then you should put the crossmember spacers in...and yes this does change the angle of your front driveshaft, and depending on how big a lift some people have the spacer could wipe out your u-joint's if your wheelin' it hard...

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]