Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive shaft opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Jul 17, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I've got a DIY4x4 Flip & Switch kit. (very nice btw) I've got the 6" shackles which should net about 5" of rear lift. I have ORD zero rates to relocate the axle, but I may not use it at first. I figure it's gonna take some tweaking before I've got the setup I'm planning to run. eventually I plan on HAD shaft and an SYE for my 241 but my funds are depleating rapidly (don't have an extra 800 buck laying around). Do ya'll think that I could run the stock shaft for a while w/o too much trouble? I'll need a conversion joint to make up to the 14ff, and hopefully I'll be OK 'till I decide exactly what to do. I've got 6" TC front springs on a D60 so I will likely have a severe saggy butt for a while, but that will be taken care of in due time. If I can get away with the stock shaft till my front spring settle, then I can determine how much lift I need to add to the rear to level it out and then do my permenant rear driveline work. Am I asking too much, or is this possible?

Sorry for the rambling :crazy:

Another thing is I have to reweld my rear perches. If I keep my rear shaft for a while, I'll have to run a way different pinion angle than with the 1 ton cv that HAD recomends. Would it be OK to make a minimal single pass weld to hold the perches in the desired position for the time being? Might make it easier when the time comes to roll them again.

2. BigCountryx

bump ttt

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i'm temporarily running my stock shaft with ~ 7" rear lift. it does alright with the tcase lowered. its a temporary setup, and it works, but i wouldnt trust it offroad.

you could always run a tapered zero rate instead of rewelding your perches.

4. BigCountryx

Thanks, just needed the confirmation that someone had run this before. I don't intend to wheel it this way, I just need as little down time as possible.