Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft out of wack!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CRAZEDHICK3, Aug 7, 2002.

1. CRAZEDHICK3

CRAZEDHICK3 Registered Member

Just installed 6"lift(all springs)on my 90 Jimmy. getting a bad vibration 25mph-45mph. Looking at the back of the truck to the drive shaft, i can see that the shaft goes at an angle to the left to the transfer case. Is this right? If not, how do I fix??? Thanx

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

You mean the T-case and Axle are not exatly inline and the shaft doesn't go exactly perpendicular to the axle? If you just changed springs that shouldn't be the problem. I don't think that they are exactly inline. I would think that your pinion needs to be turned up with shims if you haven't done this. You probobly also need to drop your T-case or get a C/V style drive shaft to correct the angle. Hope this helps.

James

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Reading driveshaft tech articles.

"In order for a two u-joint driveline to be free of vibration it must be in balance, and the angle of the front u-joint must be the same as, or very close to, the angle of the rear u-joint. If there is a noticeable difference in the angles there will be a vibration."
    - Randy's Ring and Pinion
    found
    http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm

Also check out www.4xshaft.com click on TECH INFO.

A two piece (as in our rear driveshafts) should be parrallel.
    A CV type driveshaft (as in our fronts) should indeed have the pinion pointing up.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Sorry I'm confused. I don't know if he meant the outputs where not in line or if the shaft was bent. I'm just confused /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif .

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, maybe...

My rear axle is not straight to my transfer ....looking from rear to front. Maybe that's what he means.

6. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

you have an angle problem - you need a c/v to fix it- Jess

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you might get way without runnin a C/V shaft...just play with the angles on the rear joint by adding shims...and since you have a 90 you can get a SYE kit...and get rid of the slip yoke all together /forums/images/icons/grin.gif if all else fails then go for the C/V..