Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88bblazen, May 5, 2004.

1. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

if i have a 4" lift and 35's put on my 88 blazer will i have any problems with the rear drive shaft or any other problems /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It depends on what type of lift ( blocks , springs, or flip ) . Other factors include offset zero rates . In my case( flip with 2 wd axle ) it fit lengthwise , but had vibrations. I suspect it won't be so bad if you use lift blocks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just like pauly said. What kind of lift do you plan on running?
    -Harrison

4. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

i plan on running leaf springs all around /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It will probably be fine then.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might need to shim the pinion up a little or lower the tcase some or both. The actual length should be ok.

Harley

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The lifted rear leaf springs *should have the proper shims installed if the lift calls for them. I know my 4" Rough Country system had shims installed on the rear packs.

And FYI, I didn't lower my t-case, but I've also got a 'burban (ie, much longer driveshaft).

8. Hossbaby50

Ya, it is all dependent on your lift you buy. Each truck will be a little different. Some may need a slight tcase drop some may not.

The lift companies also can only generalize what your setup may be too. They can only account for stock trucks which as you know most of us don't run. That is why I say you may need to shim it and or drop the tcase.

There were also alot of different trans/tcase combo's available throughout the years. The lift companies have to generalize and ball park things because of the different drivetrain lengths. Also you have to think the same springs are used for K5's, K10's (short and longbed), and K20's. Each driveshaft is totally different length and may need different shims or drop amounts.

Harley

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I didn't think I was disagreeing with you. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Your not, I am just expounding on why what the manufactures put in may not work 100% of the time. Each truck will be different. I am just letting the question asker know why he may get vibs even though the lift company has already tried to account for the lift with a shim.

Sorry if I sound like I was disagreeing with you. I didn't mean too.

Harley

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hell even if you were talking about the same truck, there are variables that can change things. I've seen two identical rigs and one has a 2 piece shaft and the other will have a 1 piece. Same wb, same trans/case etc.

12. puck k5

puck k5 Registered Member

I installed a 4inch BDS lift . 4 new springs front and back. i am running 35`s also.Had the lift for a month no problems with the driveshaft at all.

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I just installed a 4" TC all spring lift with 1" zero-rates in the rear. No vibes - up to 75 on the highway. The front u-joint looks like its almost at its max angle though. I also installed a 14BFF in the rear with added a tiny bit of length in the pinion, in effect shortening the required driveshaft length. There were NO shims with the springs, and they were bought as a kit through ORD.