Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive shaft question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by perp, Jul 31, 2005.

1. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I got an easy one for you (hopefully). I did the reversed 56" spring in the rear today and i cut off my perches to rotate the axle up. i got every thing bolted up and the pinion is pointed 1 degree (about) below the t case output. everything is great, right. but before i weld the pads on at this position i want to know if it is correct. i am going to measure and order a CV High angle d line monday. I guess i should get to my question. should the pinion point about 1 degree below the output shaft, or should it point to where the theoretical bend in the CV will be. if it is the bend in the cv, how far back is that usually from the transfercase?. i would just wait and call Jesse tommorrow with this but i got bare steel ready to weld and it looks like possible rain tonight. yes, it really rains sometimes in AZ :eek1: . It would be nice to get it burned in and painted today. already tried to search for this one, thanks in advance

btw, i run a 454/400/203/205 reversed 56" springs (4" lift) and a ORD 4" flip

2. 85jimmy3/4ton

85jimmy3/4ton Registered Member

when i did mine lift last month i put everything together loose, used a floor jack to move the pinion so the rear u joint would operate @ 1-2 deg. (i used my old d-shaft in to measure with), took the measurement from output shaft on t-case to center of u joint @ pinion, sent jess the measurement, then when i got my new driveshaft i checked my angles again (because they will be slightly different due to driveshaft length) got the pinion angle so the rear u joint operates @1.5 deg to account for axle wrap and to prevent the needles from premature failure, then i finally welded my ORD perches.

Hope this helps mine has no vibs and i have run it for more than 5k already
    Chris