Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Jan 13, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 4in lift 0n my 1990k5 (350,700,241) my rear shaft is causeing a viberation on decelleration only, it is too close to the end of the output on the transfer case. does anybody know a doner vehichle that would have the same diameter shaft but 2in longer that i could use? poss. the same 5k w/a 4-speed??? has anybody had a problem w/front shaft being too short w/ 4in lift ramping in the mid 900's?

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    1990 K5,

Picture this...

When you are accelerating & cruzing your pinion moves up and or stays where its at. When you are decelerating, it tilts down. I would guess that your pinion needs to be tilted up about 2degrees. If this works, great. If not, you may need to go with a CV shaft. You also may want to just check your U-joints and or make sure they are greased well. But I'd try the pinion shim first. You can get these at any shop that works on axles.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

3. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

yes it does have a avg amount of axle wrap but the axle is already shimmed, the drive angles are not the problem even at full wrap downward. the slip is just way too close to the end of the output, if you have less than 2in or so in your slip it will cause a viberation. i believe that is my issue.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 1990k5 on 01/13/01 06:29 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Here is an option. This isn't one that I really like, but you can remove the transfer case spacers, put them between the frame & the crossmember. this will drop the t-case about 2" or so. I'd bet that would get rid of the problem. Like I said, its not my favorite option, but I'd bet it would work. If I remember correctly you need a 5/8" wrench for the top, and 9/16 socket & ratchet to get the bolts undone. Just make sure you are supporting the t-case or trans with a floor jack before unbolting.

Best of luck,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

5. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

I had the same problem with my '87 with a 4" lift, I added the offroad traction bars and it stopped dead! It also got rid of that springy feel from axle wrap while stopping, I also put them on my '76 with a 6" and 35's, it seemed to help there as well. Hope this helps. Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]
    '76 Jimmy, 6" w/35's 4.88's and all locked up

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

My 78 with 4 inch lift and 35's had 2 problems with the drive shaft IT WS TOO SHORT, twice... Had to have it lengthened 2 inches... cost 143.62... do it before you lock the brakes up and it pops out like mine di dgoin down the street... really embaracing man..

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem after my 4" lift. Both of my drive shafts were to short and I had them lengthened. This did not help the vibration problem. After lowering the t'case the vibration went away. You may have already done this, but you may still have an angle problem.