Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Shaft Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by barneybirddog, Sep 14, 2005.

1. barneybirddog

barneybirddog Registered Member

I just replaced the 2" with a 4" on my 86 K5. I took it off an 84 and I took the whole differential. When I took the driveshaft off of the 84 it seemed like it was barely in the tail shaft. Question is; is anyone running a 4" with stock driveshaft and if so have you had any problems while off roading?
    One more question, I just swapped the rear out tonight and haven't even looked at the front. Am I looking at a lot of work or is this going to be as easy as the rear?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They should be fine. I am running 4" of lift on my truck with no problems. I have pretty flexy rear springs also. The only problem with the rear driveshaft might be the angles. You might need to shim the axle or space the tcase some to help cure the vibs if you have them.

The other problem is the rear driveshaft may bind if you let both rear tires droop fully. Unless you jump the truck off the ground or get high center with the axle dropped down fully this should not be a problem.

Harley

3. barneybirddog

Thanks I don't plan on getting it off the ground but i'D hate to screw something up due to stupidity. I looked at the lift blocks and they have a pretty good wedge on them and it didn't seem to bind at all when I drove it. What size tires you runnin'

Barney

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

37's, although tire size doesn't really affect the driveshafts at all. I have some decent cutting up front and out back and I still rub the front innerfenders.

Harley

5. barneybirddog

Yeah I was just wondering, I have 33's and they look a little small.