Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft vibrations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I went out and did a little wheeling this weekend, and when I had to drive back to school I had some pretty bad vibrations. I just got done replacing the U-joints with some spicer joints and they did fine until I went off roading so I am pretty sure those are ok. At one point on the trail I went over a steep hill and when I came back down the other side I got a log 6in. in diameter stuck between the ground my driveshaft and the axle. I think this is causing my vibrations because my drive shaft is nice and shiny where it rubbed and there is a small dent about an 1/16th of an inch in, and about as big around as a dime in the back of my driveshaft. All the weights are still on the drive shaft though. Do you think this would be enough to cause the vibrations. It vibrates from about 40 or 50 on up. The only other thing I can think of is if I lost some weights off the tries or something, but they all looked to be there. Maybe I seperated the radial belts too, but it was mostly a muddy trail with rutts, no big rocks, so i doubt it. How much does it cost to get a drive shaft balanced? What kind of places do it? Tranny shops maybe?
    Thanks for the help as always.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, the bend in the driveshaft could be causing your vibrations. you should get it checked out as quick as possible, since vibrations in the driveshaft will tear appart your rear, as well as the transfercase, and transmission. it could be tireweights, but if you dented the shaft, its probably unbalanced now. most driveshaft shops will do a rebalance for 20-40 dollars....

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Check them u-joints again... they are so wonderful about deciding to let go even if they were just replaced if you put a bit of stress on them....also since you put a nice dent in the shaft have that checked into because that would be enough to make things run funky...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Quit shooting corn at me!
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;