Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Shaft ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Dec 30, 2004.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

Would a 3/4 ton drive shaft from a k20 work on k30? how about a k10? any difference in the connection of the yoke and splines? how about the length? The reason I ask is this: I could take my drive shaft in and for around 40 bucks have it rebalanced, or I could go down to the junk yard and pull a shaft off a similar truck to mine for around 10 bucks, but it might not be from a k30 specifically. Would it work or would it be a waste of time?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it should be the same from k20 to k30 as long as both are the same style and length. a k10 would have smaller ujoints so it wouldn't work without conversion ujoints.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck finding a good one!!

I wish you luck searching for a shaft in the junkyards--if they have a front end loader with forks,you are not likely to find one that hasn't been dented or bent by picking the truck up with the forks--I cannot understand why they dont yank the shafts out while the truck is still on the ramp truck that brought it there,seeing driveshafts for 4x4's are like gold around here--you'd think they'ed want to save them and sell them,but they usually just bend them all too hell--its a shameful waste of good driveshafts-..I usually keep all the shafts from the trucks I scrap--but I keep a lot of stuff I should have junked!--I'm a pak-rat when it comes to GM truck parts!!....

If you do get lucky and find a truck like yours,a 3/4 or one ton should be the same,as long as the wheelbase is the same,and it has the same tranny and transfer case as yours--suburbans are different wheelbase,some pickups used a two peice shaft instead of one long one--it gets kinda complicated to find a perfect match--might be cheaper to have your old one fixed in the long one--if you buy a dented or bent one,its no bargain,even at ten bucks...:crazy:

4. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

thanks for the reply, i am gonna spend the money and just have mine re-balanced...:)