Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive Shaft ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jun 5, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of figuring out the parts I need to lift a 84 K-20 long bed pickup 6 inches...So I know both driveshaft will need to be changed up... I talked to the guy at the shop and found out it is cheaper to shorten one then to make mine longer... It is a slip yoke style as in you unbolt the u-joint from the rear and the front slides out of the transfer case...

1st ? = What truck should I try to find a longer 1 peice shaft in ? I was thinking suburban or crew cab but I think all of them are a 2 peice design correct ?

My front drive shaft seals are gone as in when you put grease in it and move it by hand the grease comes back out...There is an awful lot of play in the middle of the shaft ...

2nd ? = Can anything be done to fix the front shaft and make it work with the new lift ? Can you rebuild them or what ?

3rd ? = If not what truck could I get a longer front shaft that would work or I could have shortened to work with the 6 inch lift ?

Thanks for the help

2. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

this may be true if you can get a long d/s for free. if you go buy one at a yard it may end up costing more in the long run

3. mudslinger99

That is a very good point... I think he said to shorten was $ 85.00 and to lengthen was almost $ 200.00... I could have got a couple freebies but they were 2 peice so I passed on them.. I hope to find 1 pretty cheap but that is gonna depend on what I need to get it out of... Thanks for the reply

4. mudslinger99

I figured somebody would have a suggestion or something by now..

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm running about 5 1/4 inch lift in the rear, or so (maybe a little more because the 14bff tube size), and have run the stock driveshaft for over a year. I am waiting for a new HAD shaft to be delivered to fix my minor vibration issues. Lengthening the rear shaft would not help me out - its the u-joint angles I'm fighting. The stock front shaft has worked fine with the new angles (CV), but the spline was almost maxed out so I used a superlift 1 inch spacer to lengthen it (~$50). Since I run a dual exhaust, I have had no probelms with the crossover pipe up front.

I would expect you to have similar issues, but you really have to get it together and then go from there. Some people have run TC drop kits to help the rear, but it makes the front worse. I have avoided that.

6. mudslinger99

My trouble is the drive shaft in it now is already to short... The slip yoke part of the drive shaft is barely in the transfer case.... The original owner put a 2inch lift on it which should still make the shaft plenty long but it is not... So I know if I lift it 6inches it wont be long enough...

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

is it a short box or long box? i just put 8" lift on my k5, and its still driveable suprisingly, im not really gonna drive it, but in a pinch it would work. ur k20 is going to have a longer wheelbase, so i think ull probably be fine for now, then eventually get a new shaft

just a thought

8. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

it still reaches? did you go from stock to 8"?

9. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I think the newer chevys have longer ones maby.
    I cant remember where i got mine from but i've had to make a few sets of shafts for my truck. The last set i did myself with a little success

I don't know for sure but those prices seem expensive.
    ether that or i got a good deal from my machienest :D

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Can't speak to the rest of your questions, but the crewcabs had two-piece shafts, yes. Burbs at least sometimes have one-piece shafts.

OTOH, a Burb's wheelbase is shorter than a longbed pickup, so I don't think it would do you much good. :(

I'd get a measuring tape and go junkyard hopping.

-- A

11. mudslinger99

Ok I will see what I can come up with on rear shaft sizes... But what about the front shaft questions I had... Nobody has answered any of those ?

12. mudslinger99

Ok I will see what I can come up with on rear shaft sizes... But what about the front shaft questions I had... Nobody has answered any of those ?

13. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

any make ill do

Hell it doesn't have to be outta a Cheb, check all the full size trucks at bone yard even them F*** and D****'s you can fine a u joint to addept it to your yoke and pinion flange. My brothers 55 wide window w/ t400 and 9" we had driveshaft made for 125.00 and changed the u joint fit the 9".
    Have fun and while at the bone yard I need a ............

14. mudslinger99

I am sure you would have better luck finding that ............ part where your at then over here on the east coast :grin: ... I don't even have a place where you can pull your own parts... The few local places are more of a used auto parts store run basically just like Autozone...

I never even give them other truck brands a thought... So that is a good point you made that might be a option... My truck might get a upset stomach if I put a Ford driveshaft in it's belly :haha:

Thanks

15. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

Ford vaccine

Just make sure your Babies up to date on Vaccinations, b4 you try a Ford Shaft :)-
    Wes