Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Supreme70, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

I'm wondering if you guys could tell me if my stock front drive shaft on my 87 short bed pickup if will still fit with a 6 inch lift??
    I don't know how far the slip yoke is suppose to move and I'm coming up short by about 2 inches. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

yep, it'll be fine, mine worked fine even without dropin the tcase crossmember. My buddy is runnin 8" on his, I'd say thats the limit though.

3. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

there's two sides to every story... idk why but i along with a couple of other members have had problems with this... my front driveshaft ends up being about two inches short. and i have pulled it as far out as it will go. im not going to do a t-drop case so i have to pay some money to get it lengthened. it depends i guess. but im still trying to figure out on what. maybe its because i drive a sub while most of the guys that says it works drive k5's. but idk.

4. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what it is either, My the truck and sub are the same and the k5's are different, I wouldnt really think so but who i the h#ll knows.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have 4" springs with zero rate,and my front shaft is way short now.

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

No, it will not work....You'll need to lengthen it 1 1/2" to 2" and clearance grind the cv.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

give it a shot, see what happens.

8. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

well I guess theres some differences in the shafts then, I have 83 longbed, and an 90 k5, the shafts are exxactly the same, as was on the 1987 3/4ton longbed i had. I'm currently running 6 inches of susp under the 83. I have shreded more than a few shafts, but it was from outright abuse from the big block, even on hillclimbs and technical stuff were i get it fully drooped out i have no binding issues. I dont no if there was differences, but all the shafts i have seen fron the 81-91 sfa trucks and suvs have been the same(i have sourced 2 from suburbans).

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

we did a 4" on a 84k10 and had to beat on the shaft to get it to fit enough to use it, the splines get dry and bind up severely and it wont slip all the way anymore, you can try a lot of pbblaster and a BFH to make it move, hit the yoke, not the female slip...