Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shaft

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by balls of fire, Sep 3, 2003.

1. balls of fire

balls of fire Registered Member

Has anyone built a front drive shaft out of square tube? If so what did you use 2 1/2-2 1/2-.188 to 2-2-.250 or 2-2-.188 to 1 1/2- 1 1/2-.188? And did you put a band on the bigger tube like a reciver hitch to keep it from expanding? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I used 2.5x2.5x.25 and 2x2x.25 I haven't tried it yet, but it slides really easy! The thing is I had to grind the weld out of the 2.5"... I tried the whole reciever tubing idea but when I finally found some, it was so sloppy that I decided to spend the extra time and grind the seam out of the tube... I will post pics as soon as it's done... I've got the bottom of the front shaft done and tacked waiting to go to Billy's to get welded... The top will be easy comparably.... Billy is trying to do his now too and we've been looking into this... The cheapest/easiest route is this way, if you can find the elusive actual 2.5" seamless square tubing, it cost a ton per foot and I couldn't find any around our area! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.... I'm going to run mine without the band for now and if it turns out that it starts expanding, I'll beef it up then..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

PM denver75k5, he has a square shaft and it worked great on Indy...

4. balls of fire

so bruce you just grind down the seem or 2x2x.25 to fit in the 2.5x2.5x.25 because just looking at it I would have to use the 2.5x2.5x.188 to fit the 2x2 also i was looking in going 2x2 to 1.5x1.5 because of clearance on my deep trany pan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't see an issue with going smaller, the only thing I could possibly see is that it might take away from the the acual torque strangth of the shaft... See if you agree.... The shaft is using the flat side of the square as the transfer point, the smaller the square, the smaller your transfer point.... IT's like this... The wall of my tube is .25, so lets say I want to exagerate slightly and use .5" solid stock inside 1" .25 wall square tube.... Pending you don't pretzel the solid stuff first... You will eventually wear the corners of the square down and spin the solid inside the tube.... It's an exageration, but shows what I'm talking about... I don't think it will be a "problem" with your shafts being made out af 2" and 1.5, but the other hard part is finding 1.5x.25wall.. I had a hard enough time finding 2"x.25wall..... I wouldn't go any smaller than .25 on the wall. One forseen problem might be a pretzel effect on the lower tube... If you candy can the shaft at all, the lower won't slide into the upper.... Get at least .25" wall! My shafts are made from 2.5"x2.5" square tube with a .25" wall, and the lower half is made from 2"x2"x.25" wall... Once you grind the sewam out of the 2.5" tube, the 2" slides right in! It's very tight(as in NO SLOP!), so what I did was take my grinder and wheel and just shave or smooth over the outer four corners of the 2" to give it a 1/16th-1/32nd of slop to allow the grease to slide on... They ride great! I than capped the bottom 2" square and sealed the tube as to not allow water to enter it! I simple used some scrap 1/16" steel and welded it on the the top of the bottom half of 2".... I will drill a zerk fitting on the top side of the 2.5" tube near the CV to insert grease into the tube and keep the zerk semi protected against rocks and stuff! Any more questions? Feel free to ask! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. balls of fire

has anyone ever looked in to makeing a drive shaft with the same stuff they make shafts for tractors. Tractor Supply sales some different stock but I think you will still be faceing to small of a contact area. And will give. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I saw that stuff too, a while back when this was just an idea! I figured it wasn't enough travel and for the price I could get steel tubing at, why bother......... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif