Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skeeterlink, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Skeeterlink

Skeeterlink Registered Member

I got a '78 k5 and I'm planing to lift it 6",springs all around with 1" or 2" body lift and run some 36's. I know I gotta drop the transfer case and lenghten the driveshafts if I don't want it to shake like hell. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any donor driveshafts that would work. Trying to get out as cheap as I can.

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Welcome! You need to fill out your profile. As far as the lift you are talking about, in my opinion that is too much lift for 36" tires. A friend of mine has 40" tires with only 4" of lift and I'm not sure but he may also have a one inch body lift. His fenders are trimmed also. Lots of lift is good for flat land and mud running, but if you want to do some dificult off camber and hills and trails type of off roading you may want to keep your center of gravity a little lower. I just did a one inch body lift and I plan to do a 4" front spring lift and a drop through shackle flip in the rear wich will be about 4" with the stock springs. I am already running 35" tires and about 2" of suspension lift plus the one inch body lift. I trimmed my fenders a little and didn't rub the 35s before the body lift. Once I do the 4" flip/lift I think 37" tires will fit without additional fender trimming. The best advantage of 4" lifts over 6" lifts is cost savings. You may not have to change your driveshafts at all with a 4" lift. The front is more likely to work than the rear and saving the cash on one shaft is a good chunk of change, plus the 4" lift is more flexible and cheaper. I don't plan to ever need anymore lift than 5" total. I'll just trim the fenders more if needed. This is just my opinion and I'm sure that others will have their own. It just depends on what kind of wheeling you are going to do.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)