Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Mar 17, 2000.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok, ive decided that SOMEDAY i am going to raise the k5 six inches with a suspension lift only. my question is about lengthening the drive shaft(s). do both need to be lengthened? is it smarter to lengthen them or just get new ones? i have to wait to get the length of the shafts till after i get the lift on right? thanx a lot!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like A heavy chevy!!

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

What I'd do is before the lift kit is installed, measure the distances between tcase yokes and axle yokes. Write them down, then after the kit is installed measure again. If there is any more than 1" of difference, I would definitely have the driveshafts "retubed". That is the least expensive way, but definitely not the worst way.

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Has anyone put CV joints in to account for the new angle after the lift? If so how well does it work?

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I CV'd my K5 after doing a shackle flip. but than again, I had no choice. I couldn't drive it over 5mph due to vibration with out a cv. I put the pinion 2-3deg BELOW inline. THis is because when powering around, the pinion will tilt up. That way its in perfect position when its driving.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

How much did it cost for you to CV it and where did you have it done?

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I did my 6" lift and had to lengthen my drive shafts. The vibration was too much so I had to convert to a Cv joint system . It cost me about 500.00 initally and they last about 6 to 8 months unless I realy romp on them.

7. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Well with all this talk about driveshafts I am gonna wait on my sus. lift cause I can't afford new driveshafts now. Maybe I will be like DangerB and hack them fenders,, By the way has anyone seen them pics of his so called rig yet? IF so send them to me too or post them!!

Zack carlson
    zcarlson@yahoo.com

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The only way to combat ignorance is by asking.

Can someone explain to me what a CV joint is? The U-joint is the one that looks like a cross, and I can find them on axles and stock driveshafts, right? So what's the diference with a CV-Joint?

Thanks.

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

a CV Joint is basically two u joints in a special knuckle. It is deisgned to with stand steeper angles for longer periods of time than a standard u joint knuckle. Blazers have a shorter wheelbase than trucks even short bed trucks and the angles after you lift your beast are really steep. a CV joint can run in steeper situations.