Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drive train noise/vibration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alumbaugh, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Alumbaugh

Alumbaugh Registered Member

I'm getting a rumble and a vibration when I'm doing over 45 in a no torque condition (not accelerating or decelerating, no load in the drive train). On straight and level it doesn't happen until you slow down, but if you slow hard it is quiet. U joints seem tight and I really can't find any play so far. Any common problems that might do this? Bearings maybe (if so, which one(s))?
    Stock 91 Blazer

Bruce Alumbaugh
    Spring Creek, NV
    '91 Blazer

2. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

most likely you have some ring and pinion problems

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

sounds like something that happene to me like last week.. truck was doing the same type of thing, turned out to be a simple rear u-joint on the d-shaft. i replaced it, and it was fine! its the little things that can make a huge difference.. :D

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Did you just lift the truck? If you have a vibration on deaccell then your pinion should be shimmed up.

Later

5. Alumbaugh

Alumbaugh Registered Member

I haven't lifted it, but I just bought it less than a month ago. Doesn't appear to be lifted, but could have small one. What I need to do is crawl under it right after I finish driving it as it seems to do it after it has warmed up (10 minutes or so of driving). It's a noise/vibration I haven't felt in anything before and I ca't tell for sure where it is coming from.