Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive train / suspension info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 22, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Hey, I've compiled a list of everything I want to put on my drivetrain... If anybody see's any holes please let me know would you? [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks,

Shocks Front & Rear (BDS)
    BDS Front lift kit (4")
    Pitman arm
    Shackle Flip 4"
    greasable rear bearings
    front shackles (greasable)
    steering box brace kit
    bump stops 4 1/2" (ord)
    braided brake lines
    MT Classic II's
    BFG KO A/T's
    Rear Disk Breaks
    Axles - Front D44 (8Lug) and Rear 14B FF (8Lug)
    Power Trax - Front
    Power Trax - Rear
    Sway Bar Disconnect
    Sway Bar Bushings
    34-0316 (poly cab mounts)
    NV4500 w/ bellhousing

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

This is kinda sad, but i just looked at the pic at the bottom of your post and figured out your name!!!!!!!!!!

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey solo... you talked to Glen or Rene at BDS on the shocks yet? I haven't heard much about them, but am interested to see and hear about those shocks... any info on the web on them yet?

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. solowookie

I called BDS, and they gave me the number of a shop in Colorado Springs... They said the have them available...

I talked to a female about them, and man, she was incredibly helpful!! After talking to her I decided to buy all the lift stuff from them because they were so helpful...

She also gave a sales pitch that rancho and everybody else makes 70 shocks and uses them for all applications if they are close in length, but of course she stated BDS makes the accurate shock lenghts for each applications. This makes it ride much better.

I don't know if this is true or not, but is sound plausible (sp?)...[​IMG]

Here is the number to the shop 719-528-5790. They can drop ship from the factory directly to you.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. solowookie

hey, don't you like my tag line... lol [​IMG]

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan... [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you are goign for articulation, you may want to look into larger shocks. Also the guy at National Spring told me he didn't recomend Rancho shocks, instead he said get some Bilstein or Sway away 2" - 2.5" body shocks..... Just passin on a little tid bit...

What t-case you planning on running? And what size tires?

Other than that, it looks good?

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Change pitt-man arm to Steering arm, and I think youd have a winner!

What are "power tracs" are they drop in lockers or a limitid slips? Maybe consider a ARB Air locker in front.

Greasable rear bearings? What bearings? Rear axle/hub bearings? They are bathing in gear lube (got a puddle on my floor from them to prove it)

Also, why does everybody dislike Rancho shocks? The last time my Blazer was rolling it had Rancho shocks and I thought it rode great. Someting I'm missing?

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 04/22/01 09:02 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. solowookie

actually I've strongly considered bilsteins, and if I can get a good price I'll probably pic some up. It seems like that is a good place to spend a little bucs to REALLY increase the quality of your ride... I don't know if the bilsteins come in long enough lenghts though, I'm thinking they only accomadate and extra 4" of lift, but I could be wrong.

I will probably do the longer shock mount from the Ford, and change the mount locations in the back... When I was putting this together for some reason I didn't think of that. It shouldn't cost much more to do this, and it would save me spending the money on different shocks later...

I have a NP241 in this thing now, and I will probably run it until it dies...

I will be running 35x12.5x15 (if I can find 15" rims w/ 8 lugs then I do the grinding and run 15's instead of 16's)..

My wife is REALLY short, and I don't want to put any more lift on then absolutely neccessary... I'd like to run 35's when running AT's, but change to the super swampers (radial) for off-road on a different set of rims... they only come in 33's and 36's though... I'm not sure how much trimming I'd have to do to run 36's though w/ 4" of lift.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. solowookie

hey, capt'n crunch seems like he's an expert on these powertrax so he can probably give you a better explanation...

I've considered ARB's, but they are sooo expensive. If they were a little cheaper I'd probably go for them.

The powertrax seem like a good solution that will have better charactheristics then a locker for a daily driver. I also will be running this a LOT on slick roads, and using the Lincoln Locker just scares the h*ll out of me for use on slick roads. [​IMG] Plus I can install this thing myself and save on the install costs...

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

36" and 4" of lift = lotsa trimming...[​IMG] Thats what I'm running. Actually I have a 1" ORD body lift too.

Mine pulls a 1065 on the ramp with Rancho's...I just relocacted the rears and installed greasable shackles in front.
    Thats with Rancho's shocks for a 4" lift...the ride is alright too.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

11. CaptCrunch

Powertraxx is a soft locker... kinda like a lockrite, ez-lock, etc. The main feature is it is a bit quieter on the street and bit nicer in weather... defenitly not as nice as a posi, but alot stronger then the lockrights, etc. Also it replces the spider gears and keeps the factory carrier so you don't need to reset the gears. A friend street/strip has one and it is fairly impressive. If I did one ARB, you might as well go both IMO.

[​IMG]

12. CaptCrunch

I'll probably give Glen another buzz and ask the local shop I'm picking up the lift from. Not sure if it makes all that much of difference... I'd Love to go Bilstein, but haven't called around to verify price and what lengths are available. I refuse to pay $70 or $80 a shock though... that is ludacrious! Central 4 wheel Drive seems to have the best prices I have found. They also have a few different series, but from what I have heard the HD ones are really stiff. Other options I'm considering are Trailmasters SSV and the BDS. tRusty has the Lincoln Locker going and both him and BlazinOr seemed impressed. See the post LOCKER OR LIMITED SLIP for the comments.

[​IMG]

13. Emmettology 101

Bilsteins - $69 at Allpro Offroad for the 5100 series..

They also carry the 7100 models with reserviors....

Here is a link directly to their shock page:

http://emmett.coloradok5.com[​IMG]

14. Emmettology 101

I forgot to answer the rest of your post.

Oh, and BTW the Bilsteins come in similar lengths to the 9012's! Check out that page link in my other post.

Steve ran 36's with a 4" lift and now have a 5" lift, or so, with 38's.. With some creative trimming you can ran just about anything....

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

15. solowookie

well, I don't mind doing a little trimming, but I don't want to have to do too much... just make things simple and I'll run the BFG MT instead, or maybe even the procomp...

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. solowookie

oh, hey, I guarentee you if I ended up doing one ARB I would do both... lol[​IMG]

I don't doubt the 'lincoln locker' does just fine, but I'd also bet that they don't see the amount of snow that I do... I had snow that never melted in my back yard from october until late (and I mean late) march! [​IMG] I need to make sure that whatever I run is VERY friendly on slick roads... That is either going to mean ARB's or powertrax!

I don't think that anyone can argue ARB's! They would be awesome! Someone said that they don't make an ARB for 14B, but I saw adds fro them. I don't remember where I saw the, but I've seen them on a couple of sites!

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

ARB doesn't have a locker for the 14 bolt full-floater, with the 10.5 inch ring gear. They do have one for the 14 bolt semi-floater, with the 9.5 inch ring gear.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...