Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drive train woes and some other things

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LaxRox5, Nov 14, 2002.

1. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

For a while now my suburban has been making a clicking noise when i go around REALLY sharp turns, like making a u turn in my cal-de-sac. We replaced the u joint and had the drive shaft reblanced when my brother was driving it and snapped the u joint, dunno how. It started witht he rear end clicking and now under hard acceleration shifting into second there will be a loud POP and the car will jerk to the left a littl, or when im coming off the line semi hard i hear these clicking noise and than CLUNK CLUNK, is it my tranny, my diffs, my transfer case? i dunno, but im puzzled and dont wanna have to go to the mechanic, but thats what it looks like i may have to do, so much for lift and flames

Sorry for my incessant posting, but i need some response on this one, its driving (no pun intended) me crazy. Im gettin frustrated with it because i think the silenoid is hittin the starter now also (it grinds after its been started even if i let the key go from start), so i prolly need to replace the silenoid or something, just another stupid problem with my truck. Also, there seems to be a leak of some fluid now, this is a new one also. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Take the rear diff cover off and look for broken/chipped spider gears and check the ring and pinion gears. The clunk and jerk to one side sounds like something is unwell in the rear diff.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Or maybe you have a locker and you don't know?
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

In one of your other posts you talk about the previous owner installing a Lock-Right....there you go. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The starter problem can be fixed with a shim or two. It just sounds like the starter gear is too tight against the flywheel ring gear. Shim it down and it will be able to retract itself when you let off the key. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

loose torque convertor bolts will cause a clunking sound when putting the tranny in gear, so will u-joints and alot of other things. but, if it's pulling to one side, that's something different. i'd pull the rearend cover as mentioned.

7. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

is that a problem, having the lock right in there?... its gettin worse and worse today it did it like 3 times coming home...thanks tho for the advice im startin to narrow it down

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not a problem if you are OK with this behaviour.
    I got used to it myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif